Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

BOSS 429 heads on 460 block?

22K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  dfree383 
#1 ·
Hello ford racers,
I'm putting together a 460 w/ boss 429 heads. I drilled and rerouted the oil drain holes, re plumbed the oil gally for top end oiling and omitted the o-rings in the heads is there any thing that i've over looked?
I also had pistons custom made

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: daboss460 on 6/25/03 12:36pm ]</font>

#5 ·
thanks for the response, I will bring the camera to the shop today and hopefully you can see what we did. The heads are back off but are easely put back on. The machine shop that did the work have never even seen a real set of boss heads! If I were a little brighter that would have been a red flag. The shop did an ok job but were a little sloppy drilling and topping the oil drain holes, I will have to clean them up a little before I do the final assembly. The engine is going in a 34 "5" window coupe. The car has a stock boss 429 in it now ( I'll send pics of that to) We don't want to damage that engine since it is all original(except the tunnel ram)so we found another set of heads and... well you know the rest of the story.

#7 ·
I hope these pics come thru I'm new to the computer world. Anyway I have clearanced the block for the pushrods you can see it in the pics(hopefully) The pics show the fittings in the head, and I mocked up the top end oiling tubes, but what I couldn't show was how the oil drains back into the block thru the timing chain cover. This has been an adventure I just hope it all works out and runs like I want it to! by the way how do I put pics on the forum?????

#11 ·
On 2003-06-25 12:18, tims66 wrote:
Since your not a subsciber, I think you will have to e-mail them to someone who is, and they can post them for you. If no one else you know subscibes, send them to me, and I'll do it. tstirling@sprint.ca

Or, just subscribe! I would imagine it costs less than 1/1000th the price of building a Boss 460 and it is just as satisfying!

Very cool project, by the way. I wondered if anyone ever did this. Did you consider stroking it? Boss 557 has a nice ring to it.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the help! I've gotten so use to ebay that anything else is greek! Anyways I dont know anyone else on here so i will take Tim up on his offer. and yes I will also subscribe. So far I have gotten away pretty cheap on this engine only about 7000 including the set of Full hemi "S" heads.
A 557 would be nice but for what this car is going to be used for, 466 cubes is fine.
I saw this project in a magazine article back in 87 and i never throw a magazine away just for this very reason so I had to scrounge thru hundreds of ford mags until I found it!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: daboss460 on 6/26/03 4:48am ]</font>

#22 ·
Thanks Tim, The pics turned out a little dark but otherwise ok.( I probably should have turned the flash on) these fittings were supplied by the machine shop and they just used the ones that were shown in the magazine. I willchange them on the final install including the tubing. I think the drain tubing needs to be at least 5/16" and they only allowed for 1/4". I'm looking forward to cranking it up!! compression with that big of chamber will end up around 9.5-1.
I can't remember the cam specs right off the top of my head, somewhere around .640". I'll take more pics of the car and the talladega. and try to regester tonight.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: daboss460 on 6/27/03 6:57am ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.