Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

BEST DIST. FOR 289

12K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  DanH 
#1 ·
I am currently running a stock distributer w/ points. The timing is set at 15 deg BTDC. I am at approximately 4200 ft elevation.

What would be the best distributer for my setup? See my signature below for setup, or see topic, "289 Tuning Questions."

#2 ·
I run a MSD Pro-Billet and I am very happy with it. It makes it very easy to set your timing curve just how you want it. If you are not going to use an aftermarket ignition module, make sure you get the model that is a "stand alone" distributor which is capable of running with stock ignition. But hey, why not upgrade while you're at it?

#3 ·
Have you guys ever heard of the Jacobs Electronic System?

I put one on my 91 Ford Explorer. It went from 19 mpg to 21 mpg, and better exceleration.

I was hoping they might have a setup I can use for my Mustang. Because it seems like everyone and their Grandmother is running an MSD of some sort.

#6 ·
I run a 79' Ford Duraspark distributor and ignition box in my 289. They are cheap, plentiful and work flawlessly.

There was a Pertronixs in my 67 when I first got it. Luckily I was in my driveway at home when it went bad. Not like you can run to the local parts store and get a replacement. Thats what I like about the Ford setup. Easy to get parts for if you need them. But my dist and ignition module are both 1979 units and working great.

#8 ·
On 2003-09-04 19:54, Gcrowe623 wrote:
If you are not going to use an aftermarket ignition module, make sure you get the model that is a "stand alone" distributor which is capable of running with stock ignition.
I have the "ready to run" pro-billet along with the box, with connectors to allow me to easily just bypass the box if it fails, no matter where I am. The MSDs are nice when it comes to making adjustments, etc.

#9 ·
I bought a Petronix for it. I put the motor back in after the rebuild and couldn't get it to start. I tried everything I knew to start it. I ended up paying a mechanic to come over to start the motor. He took one look at it, and said there is your problem. He took the old points and replaced them and got the motor started instantly. THe problem, the Petronix. He told me that was not the first time he had seen them fail.

So I have abandoned the idea of a Petronix ignition module.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BrianD on 9/5/03 10:47pm ]</font>

#10 ·
I've had a pertronix in my 66 for around 5 years. No problems. Starts better too. However, I have had experience in other cars with the electronics going. Not fun to have no engine on the freeway during rush hour. I keep a set of points in the trunk just in case.

#16 ·
Dave's Small-Body HEIs

I use a David Ray conversion. I've been using him since the late 90's, always delivers a great product. He is a one-man show, so at times it may take a few days or so to get back with you (older dude, takes a vacation every once in awhile).

You send him a points distributor. He takes it totally apart, checks everything, and sets the clearances where they should be. He converts it to magnetic pick-up (essentially same guts as an MSD) BUT it will retain vacuum adance (if you wish). He'll curve it however you wish. Sends it back with a quality cap & rotor, physically tests each unit before shipping, and gives a lifetime warranty (his lifetime).

Lee

#17 · (Edited)
and gives a lifetime warranty (his lifetime).
lol

Been running a Pertronix for a lot of years without problem but carry a spare one just in case. A lot of guys install them without measuring their ignition coil primary resistance like they're supposed to and then complain when they crap out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.