Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Cruise-o-matic or C6?How can you tell?

13K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  wildosvt01 
#1 ·
I have a 68 Galaxie,is there a way to tell if i have a cruiseomatic or if its a c-6???i thought they were the same,but after a lil reading,i guess theyre not............anybody??

#2 ·
C6 has to me very destinct casted ribbing on the top that leads up the bellhousing, like 5 small ribs. I think the cruise had a bellhousing that could be removed whereas the c6 didn't. The c6 has 17 bolts to pan and the cruise o has 15. OK, i found my #'s book, so for 1968 if your car has a c6, the casting # has PGA- or PGB- , and the cruise o has PFA-A or PFA-B OR B1 or PGA-A2. The only engines to have the cruise o matic were the 240 PI, 302 PI, or the 390 column shift. Hopes this helps.

#4 ·
On 2006-03-17 04:28, 64GALAXIE514 wrote:
C6 has to me very destinct casted ribbing on the top that leads up the bellhousing, like 5 small ribs. I think the cruise had a bellhousing that could be removed whereas the c6 didn't. The c6 has 17 bolts to pan and the cruise o has 15. OK, i found my #'s book, so for 1968 if your car has a c6, the casting # has PGA- or PGB- , and the cruise o has PFA-A or PFA-B OR B1 or PGA-A2. The only engines to have the cruise o matic were the 240 PI, 302 PI, or the 390 column shift. Hopes this helps.
You are correct, except, not all C-6 transmissions have the ribs, most do, but not all...

Everything else is mostly, on the money.

#5 ·
A Cruise~O~Matic has a <U>CAST IRON</U> body in all of my cruise-o-matic experience... the C-6 is an all aluminum body.... Unless someone can correct me on this....

FE

Also.... When someone say's Cruise~O~Matic to me I think FE series engines... not SBF's, I've never seen a C-4 reffered to as a Cruise-O, nor have I heard of an FMX being referred to as a Cruise-O....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FEandGoingBroke on 3/18/06 12:04am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FEandGoingBroke on 3/18/06 12:05am ]</font>

#6 ·
Cruise O has aluminum removable bell housing, cast iron gear box, and aluminum tail. At least that's my car which by numbers says its factory. There will be a seperate cast number on all 3 pieces. Wont a C6 have a C6 part number on it somewhere? (manufacture date may not be 66 however)

No matter how complicated something is or seems, always start with the simple basics then work your way to the rocket science !!!
Me

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 3/18/06 1:46am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 3/18/06 1:51am ]</font>

#8 ·
FMX

C6 with ribs

C6 without ribs

Small block C6

There you have it!

1973 Gran Torino Sport (sold)

2004 Cobra
2004 Marauder

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildosvt01 on 3/25/06 10:04pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildosvt01 on 3/25/06 10:24pm ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.