Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Wheel/Tire Combo For A 1964 Galaxie (bigger is better??)....

25K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  64GALAXIE514 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,
Seeing as I am on a roll this morning with questions, I figured I'd shoot another one out there.... Again, the project is a 1964 Galaxie, "Z" code with a factory 4 speed being done as an "old school" dual purpose drag car. I want to go with the Magnum 500 wheels and as much rubber as I can get away with in the rear. I have currently installed a set of Hi-Jackers out back for a bit of lift and have cut the front coils down by a turn and a half. I would like to go with the 10" wide rims out back and P295-50-15's. I haven't purchased the tires or wheels yet for fear of making an expensive mistake. #1, will this wheel/tire combo work and #2, what wheel off-set do people recommend?? Please advise....
Thanx

#3 ·
Yes they will fit. Its tight though. Depending on offset you may have to roll the fender lip a little. You will definitly have to remove the axle bumpstops from the side of the frame. Believe me this was an expensive lesson. It may look like they will clear but they will hit the tire when you drive

#4 ·
Just remember you will have to probably have the whole a$$ end of the car in the air to get them off or on. I run 255/40 r17's with a 2' lowered spring and I have a bugger of a time with only one side in the air. Axle doesn't drop enough to weasel big tires out. Good luck.

#5 ·
I have 245's on all 4 corners, but when I need to replace the tires, I'll most likely go with 255's. However, if I have the money then, I'd like to get some 9" wide wheels for the rear and put some 275's or 285's on them. Luckily, I have adjustable air shocks in the back that allow me to raise the car about 2", so I should be able to get the wheels out a lot easier.

#7 ·
I forgot about that... my 245's almost rub now as it is. Thanks for the reminder. I would like to put 9" wheels with 285's in the back though. I guess we'll see when the time comes.

#11 ·
On 2007-01-11 10:36, southern63gal wrote:
Hey acadian where are you in La.?
I'm in Mandeville... just north of New Orleans. I talked to Ricky (lilrebel) and he said you and him might be looking for some other Galaxies to cruise with in the summer. I'm there.

#14 ·
the wheels are stock Chrysler turbine wheels .. not sure what the BS is but they are a 8in wide wheel.. from a truck i believe .. dunno if ya can tell from the pic what they are or not...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: loverboy4604 on 1/13/07 3:39pm ]</font>

#15 ·
I have 245x45x17's on the front and 275 x60x17's on the rear w/8's on the rear w/7's on the front.I do get a little rub in the front if we make a hard turn with a dip. the rears have clearence but had to be deflated to install.never had a rub in the rear but' have not had to many bodies in it.My car is a 64 galaxie 500 390 w/4spd. 3.89 gears thats the reason for the tall tires.all&all I really like this combo.at least it works for me.
mike richardson st.louis mo.

#16 ·
I have 245x45x17's on the front and 275 x60x17's on the rear w/8's on the rear w/7's on the front.I do get a little rub in the front if we make a hard turn with a dip. the rears have clearence but had to be deflated to install.never had a rub in the rear but' have not had to many bodies in it.My car is a 64 galaxie 500 390 w/4spd. 3.89 gears thats the reason for the tall tires.all&all I really like this combo.at least it works for me.
mike richardson st.louis mo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.