Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Bumper Boyz

14K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  69 shelby 
#1 ·
i just wanted to give you guys a heads up on them. i emailed them 2 weeks ago to get an updated price on a set of bumpers for my 63 wagon and the guy who replied was named Bob G and he quoted me a price of $380 each with exchange and i could pick them up at the swap meet in Springfield. i go to the swap meet to buy them and i told them i talked to Bob and he quoted me the $380 each and the lady who took my money said "the price is $420 each" i asked what happened to the quoted $380 the guy had quoted and she said "apparently Bob had an old price guide and screwed up when he quoted them to you". by this time i was boiling under my collar especially after i had to carry my old cores a half mile to bring them up to their trailer. i cant believe they couldnt stand by the price i was quoted so i emailed Bob back and told him what went down and how upset i was with the way the price changed $40 each in two weeks? and he replied that there was nothing he could do that i should have "called in to lock in the price".

this is piss poor business practice to tell a person one price and change it when the customer shows up to pick up the product. the manner that this issue was handled totally was unprofessional and i really just wanted to get the word out there to prevent anybody else from being screwed over by this company

if this was the wrong forum i am sorry just trying to give heads up to any future customers of these guys

thanks
Jim

See less See more
#3 ·
that is not the first time i heard bad stuff about them. if what i heard about their plating process and quality is true, it just ma be in your favor that it didnt work out for you. i guess its a bitter sweet deal. sometimes cheaper isnt always a better deal. just my opinion! not to say im not guilty about looking for a cheaper way out. good luck with the bumpers

#7 ·
In the end, it sounds like both of you walked away unscathed.

You didn't pay for an item that may be of inferior quality. The lady....well... you didn't take your 60 lb bumper and wrap it around her head!!!

You did the right thing and walked away. If it were me, I would have reacted differently and forced the issue. Then I probably would have ended up getting the bumpers at $380, put them on the car, and found out that the quality sucked. Then I would have been mad at the Company and myself!

Good move on your part.

#8 ·
"should have called to LOCK IN the quoted price????"

This guy is a F'ing weasel of the ***** type! Could not do anything about it???B.S!!!
I will say I am glad too that you didnt wrap those bumpers around her head:eek:
and the weasels head!
I am not sure from your story but , I hope you walked away from such crappy treatment.
I had an encounter with them at the BIG-3 in San Diego and they quoted me nearly$475 for my rear wagon bumper exchange.
I would have probably lost my temper a little if I went through the trouble and then found they upped the price to $515
so , good thing you kept your bumpers and told them off.
Thanks for sharing your story too!;)

#10 ·
well against better judgement i bought them because the Chrome shop around here wanted 7-900 bucks EACH to do them and then they needed them for 4-6 weeks to do their thing and to be honest i would like to see all the chrome on the car before snow flies here in ohio... i know i put the word out on one of the maverick boards i frequent and of course one or two guys have had problems there too.. i guess there is always one important lesson to be learned and that is DO YOUR RESEARCH!! maybe i'll remember that one next time...

#11 ·
Called them last week for 63 gal bumpers. had an old price list from 2005. 380$ without core.
last week it was 480 without core.they said they would have it ready in about 10 days. I called them the next day cause I had to check pick up with a friend first. now they were 520$ each!!!they just got new prices...but now they were ready to be picked up.

I ordered them anyway, all other shops were 900$+.each.

wonder what the quality will be like

#12 ·
I need a set for my 63.5 but if they treat there customers like that they will not get my business even if I have to pay double. We should write them and tell them how much business they are loosing.
Ford folks need to stick together and help each other and if that means not purchasing from a bad dealer then that is how it should be.
Rod

#13 ·
Folks might want to call Tri-City Plating in Elizabethton, TN at (800) 252-7536. They also have a website. Several of us in SC had them rechrome our bumpers and are pleased with their work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.