Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1962 "Starlift"

9K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  ShotRod64 
#1 · (Edited)
I found the text I copied and saved about the removable hardtop of the '60s but still can't find the pic I saved. What I'd like to know is if any of these exist now? There are models though that I found. I could use one of these for the Shotrod. :)

**In 1962 Ford built a very limited number of Galaxies that were lightweights with removable fiberglass hardtops(hardtop convertables)and they called them "Starlifts". I use to have a photo of Fred Lorenzen driving one with the top off.I'll try to find that photo again.
Oops I was wrong,the cars were called "Starlifts",and were 1962 Galaxie Convertables with a "bolt on" Starliner roof.Lorenzen raced one event with a 62 Starlift with the top unbolted before NASCAR said no way.**

Fred Lorenzen Pictures

wikipedia:
"1962
With the Fairlane name gone, the full-size Ford lineup consisted solely of the Galaxie and new Galaxie 500 model. Also new was a 406 in³ (6.7 L) version of Ford's FE mid-sized V8 rated at 405 hp (302 kW). Bucket seats were everywhere in 1962 — sold as "The Lively Ones", the XL series added buckets to the Sunliner convertible and hardtop coupe. The slow-selling Starliner semi-hardtop coupe was replaced by a Starlift removable roof on the Sunliner."

*Richard Petty and a history of Petty racing
This article was actually an interesting story on the Ford vs Chrysler in racing.

"Ford Motor Company introduced the Galaxie sedan for 1962. It lacked the slippery roof line of the 1961 Starliner coupe. In an effort to help the NASCAR teams, Ford introduced a "Starlift" top, especially made to turn the convertible models into a car with the roof line that mimicked the 1960 and 1961 Starliner. NASCAR let it race in one competition and then banned it."

**Ford Galaxie, 1963 Galaxie | Conceptcarz.com

"Sitting two inches lower than its 1962 forerunner, the 1963.5 'fastback' Galaxie was a reported 28 percent more aerodynamic - a fact that instantly translated into major success on NASCAR's superspeedways. Recognizing that the 'notchback' Galaxie profile was a veritable brick at high speeds, Ford's idea guys had tried to get away with attaching an optional 'Starlift' roof to the 1962 convertible to create a more swoopy shape for NASCAR competition."

*Tiny Lund.com

"A 'notchback 63 1/2' Ford was made especially for racing by Ford. At the Atlanta 500 in 1962, the Holman and Moody...
crew (Fast Freddie Lorenzen) and the folks at Ford came up with the "Starlift" removable roof option that was supposedly an over-the-counter option for 1962 Galaxie convertibles. The new replacement roof was as 'swoopy' as a roller coaster ride and it did wonders for the 1962's top speed. The fact that the windows on a stock street model wouldn't go up with the new hard top roof did make the option a little more suspect. NASCAR approved it...they won...NASCAR outlawed it. Ford stylists permanently cured the problem in 1963 with a "convertible" style roofline.
The Galaxie raced with its stock glass windows and the chrome strips carried off the showroom floor."

And one more.
Howstuffworks "1962 Ford Racing"

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks and that's where I saw pics I bet. Dave do you do the site or just the links? I was thinking Paul did the registry. Or is it a team effort on the complete site?
I have an old popular mechanics magazine with directions on how to make a car top camper. Those days you drove what you had and did what you needed to do for those vacations. Build a camper on the roof or drag a camp trailer. Now it's a shock to even see a ladder or anything on the roof. I mention that only because I saw an old Ford with a ladder tied to the roof not that long ago. :)

Thanks for the site post!

Deb

#9 ·
I recognized your name from another forum/board and was thinking maybe I mixed up the site owner. For once I actually didn't. Maybe it's going to be a good new year. :)

Deb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.