Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Roller cam in a 289 block

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  foleysfriend 
#1 ·
I have a 289 block that I want to convert to a roller cam . I had previously put a post asking about the pro's and con's about the small base circle cams that one has to use to do the conversion. Now would do they make link bar lifters to go with the standard roller cam that fit's the 289 or should I just find myself a 302 roller block or order one from Dart. The 289 has not been bored out and I really just want to get a better block in my car since the original 289 has been taken to 60 over and the car is running a bit hot .

Thanks
Greg

#4 ·
You put a roller in there, that baby's going to sing. Can't beat a roller, it's the way to go if you have the money to upgrade.

#7 ·
Checked the price on the link-bar style lifters and they are $586.00, WOW!
So what I understand is the retro roller kit uses the smaller base circle cam with the regular bog bone and spider set up and the link-bar can utilize the regular 5.0 cams. There would be a number of cam choices with the use of the link-bar, but as mentioned the cost difference is apparent.

Thanks
Greg

#8 ·
Using a small base cam is NEVER good. The 8931's can be had for 499.00 then your not tied to using junk small core cams, of which the selection is miniscule compared to regular base cam cores. Thats just me though

#10 ·
How do you know for sure if you are ordering, or already have a small base circle cam? I remember T.M. mentioning the 351M/400 does not require an SBC cam when using OE HR lifters.

#12 ·
I have a 289 block that has not been rebuilt and you are right about the 302 roller blocks , I found a bone yard and the going price for a used roller short block is $150.00.Thats not bad considering considering I had just paid $100.00 for 289 con rods to go with the 289 block.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.