Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Tri Power Carb adjustment and Procurement help?

28K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  rocherman 
#1 · (Edited)
I need 3 Rochester styled 2V carbs for my Edelbrock F380 tri power intake!

And I need advice on how best to tune them! That's why I put it in the All Ford side :)

Who's ran a set of 3 Rochester's on their FE before? I have the intake but now need the carbs, the linkage and the tuning advice that pro's like Mike and Jim have to offer up.

Anyone?

The bolt pattern is 1 1/4" by 1 7/8"

FE

#2 ·
I know **** about tuning tri power, but I've learned, by an old car magic man, to put a fuel hose between your ear and the actual carb, adjust it and then make the other ones to sound exactly the same. Work miracles on e.g Dellorto's and Weber's. Cheap and effective

#5 ·
Thanks Kul... But the don't actually have any Carburetors... :(

Not anywhere on the site does it say they have an actual carburetor!

I can buy re-furbished carb base plates for $225 bucks for 3 of them! What the hell? $225 for base plates?

ANYONE wanna by an Edelbrock F380 Tri power intake???

This is going to cost me $5,000 bucks :( waaaaaaaaaaa!

#6 ·
I thought it would help you find the carbs you need-CARB NOS. Then you can E-BAY or swap meet. But you will still need linkage and such. Multi-Carb is for deep pockets...

#9 ·
FE,
You can make the linkage you need with some welding or brazing rod, some linkage stops, springs and rod ends. I can get a drawing of a similar set-up through email. I am assuming you are going to use progressive linkage...
To tune them you will need a tuning meter that measures the air flow through each carb. You set the middle carb first with the others closed and the idle mixture screws all the way in. (unless you need to add to the primary idle mix)
Then you set the linkage to open the secondary carbs to the same amount of air flow at a given point. I do have the tool somewhere in my shop but haven't used it in years.

#10 ·
FE,

Are the mounting pads on your intake 3 or four stud? The 4 stud is for Rochesters and the 3 stud for HOLLEY 97 and FORD.

4 Stud Mounting Shown-

#12 ·
Barry Grant has tri power set up for Ford FE engines.
This system will only work on the OEM intake manifold-

All new SixShooter for the Ford FE Engines

Barry Grant's SixShooter has been made available as a multi-carburetor/air cleaner kit to suit all Ford FE-series engines from 332 to 428 cubic engines (1958 to 1976). By coupling a SixShooter to an original intake manifold (not included), this combination is ideal for Ford-powered hot rods and custom rods. With carbs turned rearwards (like the originals) to clear the distributor, this triple two-barrel induction system is beautifully crafted, nostalgic in appearance, and easy to install and tune.

* An original Ford intake manifold must be acquired to complete this kit.

#18 ·
The small Rochester 2gv (divorced choke with "v"acuum pulloff) and the 2gc (hot air coil choke like the 4100 autolites) are good carbs, 283-2v and 307-2v and 327-2v. Unless they are a "numbers" carb I wouldn't pay over $20 a piece for them, just buy a bunch and kit the 3 cleanest ones. If they won't idle right after cleaning, ditch em and try another one. Used to be in junkyards everywhere but still common at swap meets.

They are about 200cfm each at 1.5" Hg so three is only the equal of a 600cfm Holley - then again the 390/375 and 406/385 and 430/360 came with a 600 Holley on top so that is a fair amount of air.

Geez, $560 for 3 Rochester 2g's, they'd either have to be GTO carbs or brand new -
Find some cheap 2gc or 2gv's and make the linkage, it will be worth it and economical. They are good on gas too.

#22 ·
I really don't want to rain on your parade but I think using the Rochester carbs will starve the motor. The factory tri power for the small block 260/289 used a total of 735 CFM. The total for a big block 390/406 was 1050 CFM and these were with mild to moderate cams.
I wish you luck in your endevors.
Fuzzy

#41 ·
Holley told me my '63-63 Buddy Barr Holley 260-SBF set-up is rated at;

outer carb's are list #2868 are both rated @ 265cfm EACH dated 392
center carb is list #2867 is rated @ 200 cfm and dated 391.
TOTAL cfm = 730

Was probably a Comet, Fairlane, and Falcon 260ci and 289ci V-8...

I have looked for Buddy Bar casting or XE numbers and cannot see any
although I have not removed the carburetors and looked between them.

The tri-power unit may have been polished at one time and then blasted at a later period....

This might account for the absence of the customarily prominent
XE-151445 Ford engineering number along the #1 intake runner, as well
as the absence of the other raised casting marks that normally reside
at the end of each intake runner, enumerating the cylinders.

The only other explanation that comes to mind for the absence of casting
numbers is that the unit is such a early prototype, the engineering
numbers are crudely electric-penciled in an obscure location, like
between the carburetors pads.

I dunno...don't really care...I just like it...good luck FE...

-

#23 ·
I am currently building a three two setup fo rmy dad's '58 $hevy pickup with a 348 W engine. I chose to go with three 1.08" Autolite carbs rather than the Rochesters. I used a simple Mr. Gasket adapter to bolt the Autolites on the intake that was made for the Rochesters. You will need to cut the back of the air horn off for clearance, but it is easily done with a hacksaw and a file. The end carbs will not have power valves or accelerator pumps, and the idle screws will be all the way in. The truck will operate off the center carb until 1/2 throttle and then the end carbs will come in. I have less than $150.00 bucks in the whole setup including carbs, kits, adapters, fuel lines and fittings. I can show some pics if you like.

#25 ·
Well, I bought a set of 3 Roch's and they should be here today...
Got them for $230 shipping included.
FE
So how did your Edelbrock F380 tri power come out?

I am very curious since I just picked up an Edlebrock F380 this week. I was told that I need to run either stromberg 48/97 or Holly 94s, seems like the Roch's would be easier and cheaper to find. I have a friend running a quad setup of them on his rat rod.

Anyway, I would be very interested in seeing/hearing how it turned out for you, thanks.

RustyNCA

#27 ·
Did you test fit them to the intake? I read somewhere that Eldebrock spaced the intake for only the strombergs.

Is your intake setup for a four bolt carb, the one I picked up isn't? I either need to drill and tap it for a four bolt, or get some of those adapters from speedway that convert from a three to a four.

Good luck on your resto of the Falcon, I was looking for a two door falcon wagon to get my boy as his first car, ended up getting him a 65 Tbird instead.

Thanks for any help.

RustyNCA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.