Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Roller cam and distributor gear ??

17K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mavman 
#1 ·
I started to install a steel gear on my 1982 5.0 Mustang Duraspark distributor and found the inside diameter of the steel gear was larger than on the iron gear.
What cars came with Duraspark in 1985 and had the roller cam?

#3 ·
Only the 5.0 mustang.
Something to keep in mind is in '85 the 5 spd cars had a holley 4bbl and the A/T cars had TBI. I know the 5spd cars had roller cams,not so sure about the A/T cars.

#4 ·
302/5.0 distributor gears were .467 or .531 standard I.D. (shaft O.D.). Check yours. If it's a .467, the Mallory 29418 gear is steel and better priced than most. About $32 is typical. Just follow your shop manual for correct installation. If you measure something else—post it up.

David

#6 ·
Yep! If you need a distributor for a carbureted 5.0/302 with a hydraulic roller cam, any parts store can hook you up with a rebuilt unit for a 1985 5.0 GT 5-speed mustang. At least they used to... as long as they haven't been discontinued, as 1985 was 26 years ago?!?!?! Dang, I'm getting old! :eek:

1985 was the only year for a carbureted 5.0 with a hydraulic roller cam.

#12 ·
Exactly right. It is a standard carb choke assembly with bi-metal spring and all, but only opened the throttle plates for more air/RPM with no upper choke plate. Simple existing-parts solution to add idle air for cold starts, but the EEC added the extra fuel instead of the choke plate.
:tup:
David

#14 ·
Spacer...Hmm...never seen that before! Good thinking (and I hope it lasts).

Just to add to this informative post...SOME of the '85 CFI automatic Mustangs had roller cams. Not all. I had one, MFG date 1/1985 and it was a roller. But friend of mine had one that was manufactured 11/1984 and it was a flat tappet. Both were automatic CFI 5.0's. And the 5 speed 4v 5.0 was a duraspark distributor, roller cam, and steel gear. The CFI cars were TFI distributors. They actually ran fairly well but ran out of steam above 3500 RPM. I liked mine...other than the interior REEKED.

I also like the CFI on the inline 6 deal. That is cool! And probably simple to do. Gives me ideas ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.