Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

75 torino "stick" pedal linkage

12K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  vbelloni 
#1 ·
does anyone know where i can find either a complete set of pedals or just a clutch pedal designed for the 75 era torinos so less b.s when going to stick? if no know manufactures, what have other people used? mustang pedal blocks? , ect thanks for your help. looking at putting a t-56 into the car

#2 ·
72-73 Torino Ranchero and Montego clutch pedals will work. As far as I know theres nothing else that will interchange. The Torino columns are carried inside the pedal housing. The Mustangs and other do not carry the column, so they will not work.

Bare in mind that your going to need a stick brake swtcuh as well. The auto brake swtich will not work, trust me on this one. Ic ould not for the life of me get the brae wtich from my auto pedal to work on the stick pedals.

One more thing, when using the 72-73 clutch pedal assembly with a 74+ car your going to need to reuse the 74+ spacer plate and notch the edge of the pedal bracket.

This is how Ford made certain people didnt just swap the 74+ cars over to a 4 speed.

On the price of pedals, there gonna cost alot by themselfs. Be ready to shell out several hundred dollars for a set.

#3 ·
Whats this about the brake light switch? I'm also working on swapping to a stick and would like everything to work when I'm done.

#5 ·
Torkair: No, you will ned to find a stick brake light switch. The Auto switch for what ever reason will not work. I a funtioning auto brake light switch on my Chero after the conversion and the brake lights would not activate. I changed over to a manual brake light switch and they have been working perfectly ever since.

mcford: The auto column in my 75 Chero, with power brakes factory equiped, did have the spacer plate. The Stick pedals came with a spacer plate. As far as I know every single 72-79 mid and full size had that spacer plate with slightly different bolt patterns for auto and stick, just to make it harder for you to convert to stick.

The unpainted spacer in the picture is from my 75 Ranchero Squire with power brakes.

#7 ·
No, the 72-79 midsize cars pedal assebmley is also the mounting point for the steering coulmn. In short if you were to convert to a wilwood pedal assembly you would also need to fabricate mounting brackets for the steering coulmn and a fire wall brace for the brakes' power booster.

#8 ·
When I had my 1976 Ford Elite, I was looking into using a floor mounted clutch pedal assembly, that would have bolted to the floor pan, and used a hydraulic slave cylinder setup. I found my 1972 Q code 4 speed car, and ended up sticking it out instead of converting my car.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I had a hell of a time when I converted to power brakes...I used the dual diaphram brake booster off a 1973 Lincoln, and my GTS was one of the original manual front disc cars.
12" rotors, without power assist! WTF??
Anyways...I compared my 4 speed brake pedal and an automatic, and had to canabalize the pivot for the pedal off an automatic pedal, drill a hold in the same location on the 4 speed pedal, and weld it back in.
My car still has the original manual pivot, not that I am ever going to use it.

As fart as the brake pedal, you could just get a pedal off a f series, and worse case cut the pad off the truck and weld the pedal pad onto the torino brake lever.
Another thought, just gut the torino brake pedal setup, and use a floor mounted brake/clutch pedal setup.

What I'd like to know aside from the clutch setup, who has tried to convert to an aftermarket mastercylinder and booster setup?

Personally, if you are not going to stay 100% original, some times you have to move past original OEM and think outside the box, be a hot rodder, and adapt a setup to work. Metal can be cut, trim, worked and welded back together. I mean, hell, look at the 1970-1971 Chevelle clutch pedal kits...the Z bar looks awful freaking close.
I looked at NPD, and in the chevelle catalog, the complete Z bar linkage kit is like $114! the clutch pedal is $60 to add onto the setup. The bushings look identical. I dunno...just my 2 cents.
Check out year one:
YearOne Early Mustang Catalog: Restoration and Performance Parts

Building American Muscle. Backed by our unequalled "No-Sweat Return Policy."
Early Mustang » Transmission » Flywheel/Clutch » Clutch Pedal Assemblies » FJ5347
Reproduction clutch pedal assembly.
*Pad available, part number FJ1400
*Pedal pad trim, part number FJ1402

Part #DescriptionPriceAdd to CartFJ5347 Clutch pedal assembly for 1967-1968 Mustangs, all models and all engines. $195.00

May be used on 1968 models with modifications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.