Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Intake Manifold Sealing Problem

19K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  sinistertrucker 
#1 ·
hey guys,
The problem just won't go away! My lower intake is leaking coolent again!
This is the gonna be the third attempt to seal it all up right. I called a local shop and the labor itself was gonna be "at least 300.00 for labor", but I had a k member in mind for the 300.00. Anyone have any idea why this thing won't seal up? I don't want to spend 400.00 for a leaky intake manifold. The first time around I used a regular CSK gasket, second time a thick victor reinz gasket. The victor worked pretty good for about 2 weeks, then noticed coolent leaking out by the distributer. Any thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
If it is a 302 / 5.0 there is a difference in the water passages in the front of the head and or intake manifold.

so if you have late model heads with an early model intake you could have a problem with the gasket you are using. One of them has a smaller hole so if you use the gasket with a big hole well, that could be the problem.

My 2 cents. Guess you might say

544 is in the shop.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 393Clevor on 2/5/03 5:06am ]</font>

#4 ·
You said that coolant was leaking by the distributer.....are you sure that your manifold is not cracked? Or maybe has the thermostat neck gasket failed, spraying coolant over by the Distributer? I would think that if there was a leak between the intake/heads that the coolant would go into the lifter valley and not out the gasket ends.

#7 ·
88 5.0 HO, stock ported and polished heads, stock HO intake port matched and polished with the heads. The first time around I used rubber end seals, the second time RTV. It is leaking into the lifter galley, hence the white smoke. Help me out brothers, I don't want to spend half of my "tax" money for some other man to play with her manifold.

#8 ·
There is a difference between the early 302 and the later 5.0 water passages but in this case he is using all 5.0 stuff.

I would check the heads and manifold for cracks.

And it seems to me that the bigger ported gasket that comes in most kits are for the early 302's and the smaller ported gasket were for the later 5.0's (The gasket kits that I have bought come with two different intake gaskets) and they are different. Port opening and the end water passages are different I'm pretty sure.

#9 ·
what intake gaskets are you using? I once had a problem with Fel-pro #1250 gaskets leaking coolant into the valley as well, changed the gaskets to a 1262, or a Mr. Gasket 90103-1 (I'm not positive about the Mr. Gasket number). It was a RPM air gap manifold if that makes any difference. Good luck

#12 ·
Around here we have Autozone stores which rent cooling system pressure testers -- actually they don't charge, just a deposit.

Very nice -- you remove the radiator cap and attach the gauge and pump. Pump the cooling system to 13 psi and if you have leaks... it comes out the leaky area. Makes it quick to diagnose.

#14 ·
On 2003-02-06 10:20, sfcrandall wrote:
White smoke sounds like a head gasket leak not a leak into the lifter valley. If it were leaking into the lifter valley the oil would be milky looking.

my thoughts exactly....
It does not sound like you have an intake sealing problem. If coolant were leaking past the gasket, it would definately contaminate the oil, and within minutes of driving your oil would look like a frothy brown/white milkshake.

It is possible that coolant could leak directly into an intake port, and none into the intake valley...but this is highly improbable...especially if you say you've replaced the gaskets a couple time to still have this problem.

Secondly any intake gasket problem would result in low manifold vacuum.. i.e. a vacuum leak. If you are not having poor idle, and low vacuum, it also lends to the idea that your coolant is getting into the chamber from somewhere else... i.e. head gasket or a leak in the port of the head.

Since you said the heads are ported, I'd like to know how much... sounds to me like your problem is head gasket or a leak in the head.

You could try some block/radiator sealer... pick it up at any parts store, dump it into the radiator and run the car. The aluminum powder may seal up a small pin hole leak. Worth a shot before you tear off the heads.

#15 ·
ah man
It is not a major leak as to where the oil is turning milky. The heads were not hogged out, just cleaned up and port matched. I have the top end all apart and gonna have the lower intake checked for flaws in the am. Thanks for the info.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sinistertrucker on 2/7/03 4:18am ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.