Over the weekend I got quite a bit done on the front clip. First I straightened out the hood a little bit to help align the fenders. The car was hit pretty hard on the passenger side at least once, so I have been dealing with that quite a bit.
When cutting the factory front end off, I had the foreskin to save the headlight buckets and surrounding sheet metal.
After several iterations of measuring and trimming, I tacked them in.
I also mounted the radiator. For that, I used the factor lower mounts from the F150 and some fabricated tabs.
Right now the hood is just sitting on top of the fenders, but fortunately, it looks like I will be able to use factory hinges and latches. I was going to use hood pins, but this will be much easier and free. I was also thinking of getting a fiberglass cowl scoop hood. Now I am leaning towards trying my luck at converting the factory hood into a cowl hood. Itís not like I got much to lose. The beauty of fixing up a beater is that there is very little pressure to not screw things up. Itís a low stress project car.. which is nice. The cowl will be a little tricky as the main structure of the hood is a giant X in the middle, of which will need to be removed to make way for a giant hole.
Another pleasant surprise is that there is more room/clearance than expected above the radiator fill cap. Vertical clearance between the fenders is always deceptive. Hopefully it is so deceptive that I will find out that a cowl hood is not needed to clear the absolutely ginormous EFI intake manifold of the inline six.
And even another pleasant surprise is that it looks like I will be able to use the factory gauge cluster housing to hold all the Tundra gauge cluster guts. I was thinking that I had to hack up the dash and make some elaborate bezel, but I think I stumbled upon a simpler more elegant solution. It looks a hair on the short side vertically, but I think it will blend with some careful dremel work.