66 and 67 bucket seat owners - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
FordMuscleForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 924
Question 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

Can someone with a 66 tell me the bolt hole measurements for a 66 with factory buckets and someone with a 67 the same. I have tried researching it on the web but I can't find what is different between the years. It looks like 55 to 66 are the same and 67-69 are the same but no definitive answers or measurements.

Thanks

Don
__________________
Don
1967 Galaxie 2DHT w/460
Chopped to make a rag top
1972 F100
2013 F150 Platinum
2007 Jeep Commander (wife)
donwhis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 201
Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwhis View Post
Can someone with a 66 tell me the bolt hole measurements for a 66 with factory buckets and someone with a 67 the same. I have tried researching it on the web but I can't find what is different between the years. It looks like 55 to 66 are the same and 67-69 are the same but no definitive answers or measurements.

Thanks

Don
I'll have a look tonight, lucky I have a set of 65s in the garage as well as my 67s beside them, lol.
677litre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central NY
Posts: 568
Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

Hey if you've got some extra time and a scale, could you weigh the seats and post that up in this thread? Thanks in advance!
Mazlem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 201
Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazlem View Post
Hey if you've got some extra time and a scale, could you weigh the seats and post that up in this thread? Thanks in advance!
Sure, I'll do it later when I get home from work.
677litre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 924
Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

According to Russ Owens, the 65 to 68 Galaxie bucket seats are the same mounting pattern. I was asking him about using tbird buckets. He said the tbird seats are the same but will not fit without the Galaxie seat brackets because the tbird has a flat floor and the Galaxie does not.


So if we try to put tbird seats into a Galaxie we need the Galaxie brackets or you have to make your own.
__________________
Don
1967 Galaxie 2DHT w/460
Chopped to make a rag top
1972 F100
2013 F150 Platinum
2007 Jeep Commander (wife)
donwhis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 201
Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwhis View Post
According to Russ Owens, the 65 to 68 Galaxie bucket seats are the same mounting pattern. I was asking him about using tbird buckets. He said the tbird seats are the same but will not fit without the Galaxie seat brackets because the tbird has a flat floor and the Galaxie does not.


So if we try to put tbird seats into a Galaxie we need the Galaxie brackets or you have to make your own.

Hmmm, interesting, well the first chance I have will be Sunday to compare the two. I'll take some pics for reference of the 65s and the 67s side by side.
677litre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 201
Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

Ok as promised:

The 67 T-bird buckets are not the same bolt pattern as the 65 Galaxie ones but the design is the same so the whole "floor flat" thing on the t-birds and not the Galaxies is really your call but I can't see the difference. Every photo I've seen of the 67 t-bird and 67 galaxie they look the same bracket wise. If anything the Galaxie brackets are flater then the t-bird.

First photo is the none powered 67 T-bird: 13" x 9" 63lbs

Followed by the 65 Galaxie XL buckets: 12" x 10.5" 45.6lbs,

Then the powered, not going to weight them, my back won't like me.

Light blue is the 65s, dark blue the 67s.
Attached Thumbnails
66 and 67 bucket seat owners-67-t-bird.jpg   66 and 67 bucket seat owners-65-galaxie-xl.jpg   66 and 67 bucket seat owners-65-galaxie-xl-power.jpg  

66 and 67 bucket seat owners-67-t-bird-power.jpg  

Last edited by 677litre; 04-22-2012 at 06:40 PM.
677litre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 924
Talking Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

677liter, thanks for going to all that trouble and providing the pictures along with the measurements.

I think what you said about the Gal seat brackets being flatter than the tbird brackets is correct. It would seem like a flat floor would require higher brackets to offset lower/flat floor. And on the Gal since it has the raised areas for the brackets it would be shorter/flatter than the tbird bracket. What was a big surpise to me was the difference in mounting hole distances.

What I am getting from this is that a 65-68 Galaxie bucket seat brackets and mounting holes are the same, any year Tbird bucket seats would use different brackets and mounting hole distances. Right or Wrong?

I wonder why no one has ever put together an interchange document for seats, or even as a minimum a table by year, seat type, brackets, etc -showing the measurements and part number? This could be a start for the Gals, knowing the 65-68 pattern.
__________________
Don
1967 Galaxie 2DHT w/460
Chopped to make a rag top
1972 F100
2013 F150 Platinum
2007 Jeep Commander (wife)
donwhis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 201
Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

I've never had to measure the bolt hole distance on the floor of my 67 Galaxie, do you know what it is?? The previous owner put a set of 68 buckets in and i noticed he had to shorten the bolt hole distance as the 68 bucket mounts were to wide.

Now you've got me curious, I'm going to have to drive out to where the 67 is stored and measure the floor mounts, lol.
677litre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 924
Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

I don't know, I was trying to find out myself because I want to replace my bench seat with buckets. I am driving to where my 67 is store Wed., and I will measure the front to back hole distance on the bench. Assuming the bench and buckets use the same spacing on the outside mounts.

I had always just assumed the outside holes would be the same and I would just have to drill 2 new holes on each side for the inside bracket mount. I am figuring out that assuming is dangerous.
__________________
Don
1967 Galaxie 2DHT w/460
Chopped to make a rag top
1972 F100
2013 F150 Platinum
2007 Jeep Commander (wife)
donwhis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central NY
Posts: 568
Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

677litre are those weights per seat or total? If per seat that's weird that they weigh so much more than the bench seat I weighed (72lbs total). The brackets weren't on it at the time but those can't be more than 5lbs or so I'd guess.
Mazlem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 201
Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazlem View Post
677litre are those weights per seat or total? If per seat that's weird that they weigh so much more than the bench seat I weighed (72lbs total). The brackets weren't on it at the time but those can't be more than 5lbs or so I'd guess.
The measurements are per seat but don't forget that the bucket seats have ALOT of metal trim, chrome trim and a full fiberglass or metal back on them depending if they are XL or standard seats. So it takes up a lot of weight per seat compared to a bench which is technically lighter then both bucket seats.

If you are looking to save weight then go with the bench seat.
677litre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 924
Thumbs up Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

I was able to measure my 67 today. I measusred from the bottom of the floor pan where the oval cutouts are pre stamped into the pan. There are 6 pre stamped ovals on each side, total 12.

The 8 outside ovals, 4 on each side, are used for mounting a bench seat and measure 10 1/2 inches front to back and 2 1/2 inches apart. To use a 65 to 68 bucket seat you will use the oval fartherest from the outside edge of the car.

The 4 inside ovals, 2 on each side, used for mounting a bucket seat, measure 12" from the nearest outside oval. If, like my car, the car has never had bucket seats you have to measure and drill the inside mounting holes. The ovals are already prestamped.

These measurements confirm that any Galaxie bucket seat from 65-68 will mount/interchange using existing holes/ovals in the floor pans. It also confirms that the tbird seats will interchange only if you have Gal brackets, otherwise you must modify the brackets or the floor pan mounts.

Thanks again
__________________
Don
1967 Galaxie 2DHT w/460
Chopped to make a rag top
1972 F100
2013 F150 Platinum
2007 Jeep Commander (wife)
donwhis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 201
Re: 66 and 67 bucket seat owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwhis View Post
I was able to measure my 67 today. I measusred from the bottom of the floor pan where the oval cutouts are pre stamped into the pan. There are 6 pre stamped ovals on each side, total 12.

The 8 outside ovals, 4 on each side, are used for mounting a bench seat and measure 10 1/2 inches front to back and 2 1/2 inches apart. To use a 65 to 68 bucket seat you will use the oval fartherest from the outside edge of the car.

The 4 inside ovals, 2 on each side, used for mounting a bucket seat, measure 12" from the nearest outside oval. If, like my car, the car has never had bucket seats you have to measure and drill the inside mounting holes. The ovals are already prestamped.

These measurements confirm that any Galaxie bucket seat from 65-68 will mount/interchange using existing holes/ovals in the floor pans. It also confirms that the tbird seats will interchange only if you have Gal brackets, otherwise you must modify the brackets or the floor pan mounts.

Thanks again
Good to know, thanks for doing that, I haven't had the time to head out to the storage place to see my Gal yet.
677litre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bucket seat ID augy All Ford Techboard 17 09-07-2010 12:42 PM
Bucket seat ID augy All Ford Techboard 0 07-29-2010 04:27 AM
63-64 4 speed bench seat owners sixty3 Galaxie Pages 2 08-04-2009 11:52 PM
Bucket seat Interchange geno8769 Fairlane Pages 1 01-04-2008 05:33 AM
Bucket Seat Question for 67 XL owners Chiefe9 Galaxie Pages 0 02-15-2005 10:57 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.