pete jackson gear drive - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
FordMuscleForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

pete jackson gear drive

has anyone used a gear drive on their 289/302. i have installed one, yet to start the motor, but am having second thoughts. is the gear drive good up to 8000? or is 8000 just too much? i'm thinking maybe i should just install a chain, which i know will work.
65svo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

pete jackson gear drive

The only thing bad about a gear drive, it creates unwanted valvetrain harmonics that can cause bolts to back out, and valvetrain wear (worst case-scenario, though). Especially if it is a noisy one, the quiet ones don't cause as much, but still do. I thought about one for my 357C build, but I searched the internet for oninions and possible problems, and I finally decided to go with a double roller.
Hope this helps, Chris.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

pete jackson gear drive

Gear drives work fine at high rpm. they dont stretch and flex like a chain so your timing is more accurate. A gear drive will actually keep the "spring" actuation from causing hamonics in the crank. That means those forces are contained in the cam. Each time the cam starts to open a valve it wants to slow down and when it starts letting a valve close the spring forces want to speed up the cam. Those harmonics are partially absorbed by the gears and what doesn'y get absorbed get "bounced" back to the cam. Those are the harmonics that are usually transferred to the crank but with the gear drive they get sent back where they come from - the cam.
Paul
PaulS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

pete jackson gear drive

thanks for the info chris and paul. ken
65svo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Subscriber

pete jackson gear drive

ive been using one on a 351w for afew years with no problems
69 xw falcon wagon
08 softail
steharz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

pete jackson gear drive

had my "noisy" for 10 years,no problems
iskwezm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 01:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tech Contributor Gold

pete jackson gear drive

I just took out my gear drive because I wanted to hear my cam and valvetrain. It was just too noisey for me. I have a video clip if you want to hear what it sounds like. E-mail me at woosley@alaska.com and I send you the clip.

Thanks!
Mike.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2981459
valleyfirearms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

pete jackson gear drive

I have personally torn down 2 sb with gear drives for the same reason..... CRACKED CAMS !!!!!!! Be warned that this happens with the noisy drives
mustang42782 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2007, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

pete jackson gear drive

I`ve had a pete jackson gear drive in a 302 i ran for 12 years and alot of abuse. I turned it 7500 rpm,s with a 125 shot of spray. the only thing i heard bad is that gear drives rob the most power, a Danny bee or Jesel belt drive is stronger than a chain and absorbs more harmonics and robs the least power. HOPE IT ALL WORKS FOR U WHATEVER YOU DO.
572stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

pete jackson gear drive

Actually, gear drives can send harmonics from the crankshaft to the camshaft, which is why they have fallen out of favor with most engine builders. Belt drives offer the best of both worlds.....accuracy of a gear drive....crank shaft harmonic isolation of a chain. Not to mention the ability to advance or retard the camshaft without engine disassembly. Oh, and belts are very quiet. Even so called "quiet" gear drives are pretty dang noisy. Of course I happen to like the noise

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: carsnguitars on 3/1/07 4:42am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: carsnguitars on 3/1/07 4:45am ]</font>
carsnguitars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

pete jackson gear drive

Gear drives are just noisy things. Lots of people go plenty fast with a good chain. No real harm except having to deal with the disappointed faces that appear when you drive up, open the hood and people don't see a blower (because that's what it sounds like).
Old 03-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

pete jackson gear drive

Quote:
On 2007-02-28 15:27, ckelly wrote:
No real harm except having to deal with the disappointed faces that appear when you drive up, open the hood and people don't see a blower (because that's what it sounds like).
luckily i have a blower then
iskwezm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.