5.0 + T5 in a 65 mustang - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
FordMuscleForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

5.0 + T5 in a 65 mustang

I have searched this forum and other sites but have not found exactly what I am looking for. I found tons of info and the T5 swap and info on the 5.0 swap, but have not found anything on the complete swap together.
I currently have a 64.5 Mustang with a 289 (original motor was 260)and 3 speed. I just purchased a complete engine and T5 out of a wrecked 91 mustang. I plan on installing the complete setup in my 64.5. I think I know most of the basics:

Taking EFI sytem off and going with carb.
Going with Hydraulic clutch kit.
Electric fuel pump.
I have a 28 tooth drive shaft that I will shorten if needed.
New transmission mount.
Find Headers that will fit.
Will be going with the Taurus electric fan conversion.

Some of the questions I have are:
Can I use the 5.0 belt and pulley set up (after I remove unwanted components)?
What extactly do I need to do with the oil pan?
Can I upgrade the Cam with the current set up for more HP?

Anything else?

Thanks.
Plateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 5.0 + T5 in a 65 mustang

You can use the 5.0 pulleys if your useing the smog pump I didnot went to a 84.5' belt to 85.25 ' belt . Your battery will have to be little smaller for it will be close to the alt. I put my battery in the trunk . You need a pickup for your oil pump front type also a front sump oil pan you can allways put a larger cam but you should also upgrade your heads larger valves or gt40 heads it gets very costly and you will have plenty of power if you keep it stock . The drive shaft will need shortened Mine did and I had to change the yoke . You will have to use your stock trans mount with a after market trans cross over brace NPD or mustang unlimited has them clutch cable kit is ok with try y headers I had to bend my tubes out alittle also insulated the cable better what comes with them is not very good . Hope this helps . Jim
tubbie50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 06:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Subscriber

A C4 yoke will fit the T5 trans, once you change your oil pan from rear sump to front, you'll need to block off the old dip stick tube hole on the block. Then you will need to purchase an earlier model Timing chain cover that has the oil dip stick tube in it, or just drill your existing timing cover that on the 5.0.
1967 Mustang 289
1954 2dr Customline
gotyurback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks all for the help.
Plateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateman View Post
I have searched this forum and other sites but have not found exactly what I am looking for. I found tons of info and the T5 swap and info on the 5.0 swap, but have not found anything on the complete swap together.
I currently have a 64.5 Mustang with a 289 (original motor was 260)and 3 speed. I just purchased a complete engine and T5 out of a wrecked 91 mustang. I plan on installing the complete setup in my 64.5. I think I know most of the basics:

Taking EFI sytem off and going with carb.
Going with Hydraulic clutch kit.
Electric fuel pump.
I have a 28 tooth drive shaft that I will shorten if needed.
New transmission mount.
Find Headers that will fit.
Will be going with the Taurus electric fan conversion.

Some of the questions I have are:
Can I use the 5.0 belt and pulley set up (after I remove unwanted components)?
What extactly do I need to do with the oil pan?
Can I upgrade the Cam with the current set up for more HP?

Anything else?

Thanks.
You don't NEED to run an electric pump, most 5.0L covers can be machined to take a mech. pump and the early dipstick, or as was mentioned, you can swap on an early timing cover, but you can't run a 5.0L pump with a 65-68 and some other older timing covers, it will throw off the alignment among other issues.

The C4 yoke works, someone else mentioned that, you can also use a C4 speedo gear, trans mount, and speedo cable, and buy a T5 transmission crossmember for an early Mustang. You just use regular headers for a 65 V8 Mustang. For the oil pan, you need the 65 pan, pickup and dipstick and plug the dipstick hole in the block with a 1/8" freeze plug.

To run the 5.0L belt setup, a ~60" belt is the ticket for no PS, AC, or smog. For this, you'll need to stick to a 5.0L timing cover and use different rad. hoses if using a 65-type inline in-out radiator with the 5.0L water pump.

The Taurus fan takes some doing as the mounting setup isn't meant for older cars, so you might consider something else and check the depth carefully as well as early Mustangs need a pretty shallow electric fan.

The 5.0HO pistons will accomodate a huge cam if you want.
HTH
-KD
PS: Before I forget, if you use the 5.0 heads, you'll need to plug all the different smog holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.