71-73 Rear Window Louvers~ - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
FordMuscleForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 03:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

71-73 Rear Window Louvers~

I know the 71-73 Mustangs have a 14 degree slant, and a large complaint by owners of this style of Mustang is hitting objects when reversing... This being said, are the rear window louvers offered for 71-73 Mustangs a good idea? Should I invest in a set? Anyone with a 71-73 tried it or have one with them on?
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 71-73 Rear Window Louvers~

I have a 71 Mach 1, yes it is not easy to see out the back of the car. I have not hit anything yet, however I always pay extra attention to what is behind me when I approach the car. That helps when I have an image of what was there. With that said, the louvers will not obstruct your rear view from the drivers seat. They will appear as only thin black lines in your rear view mirror or when you look back. They do look great on this model and keep the visibility and sun out of the car from the outside. Just my two cents.
Fordz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks alot Fordz! I was gonna be a bit sad if they weren't "practicle", but reading what you said, oh hell yea I will be getting them :P Thanks agian man ^^
Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

No problem, be sure to post pics when you get them installed. I plan to put some updated pics of mine on here in the next day or so.
Fordz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcollins85 View Post
I know the 71-73 Mustangs have a 14 degree slant, and a large complaint by owners of this style of Mustang is hitting objects when reversing...
That's not a complaint, that's just plain 'ol poor driving. The 70-71 Torino fastbacks have MUCH worse rear visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcollins85 View Post
This being said, are the rear window louvers offered for 71-73 Mustangs a good idea? Should I invest in a set? Anyone with a 71-73 tried it or have one with them on?
No, they are not a good idea. The trunk lid on a 71-3 sportsroof comes up over the rear window. On the set I had, and many others I've seen, you have to force the lower trim down to clear the trunk lid. Bad design and one moment of forgetfulness can wreck the paint on your trunk lid.

To each his own, but you won't find a set on my car....
Hemikiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

I see.. So definitly not a good idea.. I saw these pics and thought it looked sweet :/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/illivatur/2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/72sprint.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ord34271-1.jpg
Old 04-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

They do look good on the 71 thru 73 model year fastback...and they are very practical...helps to keep the sun from destroying the interior. Darn rear window on the fastback makes it more like a greenhouse!!

As far as the trunk lid hitting the louvers, it's been many years since I had a set, but I never encountered any interference when I did have some on my 72 fastback (sorry, I don't remember the manufacturer). Just make sure you don't get cheap when buying them (stay away from J.C. Whitney!!!), go for quality and ask at car shows about the manufacturer, or call one of the Mustang parts stores (Paddock, Year One, etc...) and find out who they would recommend.

I think if I did have to come up with some kind of "negative" for the slats...in the fall the leaves and pine needles love to get up underneath...so make sure you clean 'em good and clean 'em often!

And as far as hitting object when backing up with a fastback, I agree...that is just plain bad driving. I learned to drive with a 72 fastback, mirrors are small, huge blind spots, rear view mirror virtually useless....but I never, ever hit anything while backing up, and I drove that car for 5 years....great thing about the fastback, my friends always wanted to "borrow" it...until that sat in it! Couldn't see out the back, trouble seeing over the mile high dashboard, and the loooong hood...God I miss that car!! If all goes well, this is the year I start the build of my yard ornament...a 71 fastback!!

Mike

Last edited by Humphrey351; 04-26-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Humphrey351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow! Thanks alot for the input! ^_^
Old 06-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a 72 with repro slats from NPD, the paint is very thin on them and I have a couple of hairline scratches on them. The look is awesome, I have dark tint all the way around but I am also very careful about backing up and viewing through the rear window. As far as cleaning is concerned the car is parked in the garage, dust does get on the windows but the slats disconnect on each side and swing up while still attached at the top of the window. (via two sided tape and bracket which slides under the window gasket)

Also the trunk height can be adjusted some so you might be able to adjust that along with the position of the slats to avoid rubbing when opening up the trunk.

Over all I would do it again, look is timeless and really matches the front air dam.
71stang99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.