8" posi third member install - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
FordMuscleForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

8" posi third member install

I have a 67 mustang Coupe with an open rearend in it. I recently found my self a posi 8" thirdmember a 3L00 in a 1976 mustang II. The price was right I only paid 260 for it. I am needing expert advice on how to clean up the member and install it in my car . I greatly appericate your help.

Thank you
Scottie
Show Me Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 8" posi third member install

Its not a big deal to change. Your axles need to come out about 12 inches or so, and then disconnect driveline, and start removing nuts that hold third member in. It's a pretty serious chunk of iron, so be prepared for the mess of the oil, and the weight of the diff. probably should let it drain for a spell before actually jerking it off the housing.
grainboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would hose it down with degreaser and then take it to the car wash to clean it up, inside and out. I'd dry with compressed air to get all the water out of the bearings.
grainboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Most parts stores will rent you a puller for free once returned for the deposit. I'd pick one up before you start, the rear axles can be a bear to get loose some time. It looks like a slide hammer for pulling dents, a couple quick whacks and mine came sliding out. Reinstall took a few taps with a block of wood between the studs and a large rubber mallet and they snap back in.
Be sure to put a bottle of ford tracloc friction additive with the new oil.
Depending on what your planned use is, you may want to have the gears upgraded from 3.00 to 3.50:1, etc. at this time before install.
Jon
koederitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

From what I take you already have it out of the diff. You can pull the pinion assembley, just don't loose the slims or change them and that'll help to clean it up. Personally I would take it to a good shop experience in rebuilding them and have them put all new bearings, races, and clutches. You never know what shape it's in right now and it could have trashed bearings. Maybe put some 3.25s or 3.55 gears in it too.
dacofa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.