press in rocker stud DIY ? - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
FordMuscleForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Subscriber

press in rocker stud DIY ?

my 289 has snapped a press in rocker stud and i`m wondering if its possible to replace it myself.. i have the Tom Monroe book and this suggests utilising a brass malllet with nuts bolted on to protect the top of the stud.. i mentioned this to someone and they thought it was a bit dubious.

its snapped at the bottom of the thread so i also need to remove it.

cheers,

Mark
markw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Re: press in rocker stud DIY ?

What you need to do now is thread the part of the stud that is still there. Then you can slowly use a nut to pull it out with spacers. For the spacer that goes against the head, I use a power steering bearing spacer. That way the nut will rotate easier and only pull the stud out instead of rubbing against the spacers and making it tougher. A little heat on the head boss will make it easier to.
dacofa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Subscriber

i`m wondering will i be able to turn a die with the other rocker studs adjacent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacofa View Post
What you need to do now is thread the part of the stud that is still there. Then you can slowly use a nut to pull it out with spacers. For the spacer that goes against the head, I use a power steering bearing spacer. That way the nut will rotate easier and only pull the stud out instead of rubbing against the spacers and making it tougher. A little heat on the head boss will make it easier to.
markw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

threading is very difficult,I couldnt do it on mine.What I did was tack weld a stud on top of the broken stud and use a nut with washers to pull it out.Do yourself a favor and put in screw-in studs.Good luck!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Personally, if you're not very experienced in doing this. Save yourself the greif and pull both heads and take them to a machine shop that can pull the studs and install threaded ones. You have to be very careful when tapping the hole out to make sure it's straight. Otherwise you'll change the rocker arm angle. That = more problems down the line. Trying to save a little money now can cost a lot later. Plus you won't have to worry about it being right.
dacofa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tech Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacofa View Post
Personally, if you're not very experienced in doing this. Save yourself the greif and pull both heads and take them to a machine shop that can pull the studs and install threaded ones. You have to be very careful when tapping the hole out to make sure it's straight. Otherwise you'll change the rocker arm angle. That = more problems down the line. Trying to save a little money now can cost a lot later. Plus you won't have to worry about it being right.
This is very good advice...You can ruin a good set of heads by tapping the stud holes crooked..

1968 mustang 408W Hybrid..Burns gas and rubber!
11.59@120.95 with 1.68 60ft
frdnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

I did not read anything here as to just why the original one(s) broke off where they did instead of bending over.

Wm.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

The studs work-harden over the years and break at the weakest point that works the most - usually at the last thread.

I agree - pull both and have screw-in studs installed.
PaulS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS1950 View Post
The studs work-harden over the years and break at the weakest point that works the most - usually at the last thread.

I agree - pull both and have screw-in studs installed.
Very true, I had one break off and took it to one shop and he worked on it for hours trying to drill it out. Broke a couple of very expensive bits. He finally got the one repaired but, refused to replace the others. I took it to a friend who had a special press he put together to pull studs. He did all of them and threaded the heads for studs. One shop refused to even try to do it. So there's no way I could have removed that broken stud myself.

These were Dooe heads that had had a very nice port job done to them. I still have them on a spare 306.
"Tell it like it is or don't tell it at all" 1964 Falcon 2dr HT, 347V8 4V, dual exhaust, 5sp, pwr assist R&P steering, AM radio, heater with defrost and 2sp fan, electric windshield wipers, cigar lighter, dlx light group, bucket seats, console and full carpet.
retyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.