1969 mach 1 brake problem... - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
FordMuscleForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

1969 mach 1 brake problem...

I have a 69 mustang ,sat a few years in trailer . I pulled it out and brakes were very hard , no brakes.I placed on front new calibers and pads,back replaced wheel cylinders . New master cylinder , bled all wheels .When you push pedal to stop it goes to the floor. Pump the pedal once and got full brakes. Even hold the pedal any length of time the brakes still hold.Let foot off ,mash again , goes to the floor. I pulled a vacuum on all wheels filling the master cylinder with fluid useing near a gallon of fluid.Same thing , one pump brakes . With the master cylinder top off , mash pedal and let off ALL the fluid rushes out ,every drop all at once . I know this is not normal. I was thinking in line there should be a proportion value or something to slow the back flow of brake fluid . This value should allow about 13 percent pressure going to wheels and a back flow of fluid of around 3 percent to keep fluid in lines . With fluid rushing back all at once something is screwed up . Everything is new , worked before I changed everything .This car is a nhra legal car so all lines have been moved to inside the fenders . It has a line lock that works when button is engaged .I know it seems like bad ms but I placed 4 new ones on ,even made sure it was for disk brakes on front and drum on back. Beats me . Cannot run car with no brakes . Need help , local shop cannot fix it .
Attached Images

Rcode427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1969 mach 1 brake problem...

You may have some air in the system yet. Took me two days of stop and go to get rid of the feeling. Overnight, the air goes to top of the system parts and thus escapes.

Wm.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Here's my Braking $0.02:

1: The brake lines will NEVER empty when the brake pedal is released. It is impossible for that to happen if the brake bleeders are closed.

2: It DOES seem like a bad MC. If you get one from a Different company.... I've literally gone through 3 BAD brake masters when repairing a chevy pickup several years back, and my Falconaround herself, she went through 4 one lungers before I got one that held pressure through auto zone.
It's NOT the part, it's the MORONS that make the part. You can get one guy doing one thing wrong on assembly, and that guy's ENTIRE line of work is junk.

3: Have you made sure that the rear brake shoes are FULLY out and skimming the rear drums before bleeding?

4: My pop's S-10 2 years ago went through TWO brake masters before one of them would actually pump up.

5: If the pedal grabs when you Pump it but releases the very next push, then you have a bad master! Or a Water Balloon on one of your rubber brake lines... Which is ridiculous.

6: Have you checked the brake pedal end play? I know that the end play has NOTHING to do with a Firm pedal one push and a Flow Through pedal the next push....(only a bad master does that) but I had to mention it. If it's just a teency bit of play, like a billionth of an inch, or just barely touching the master plunger, that's about perfect. But surely not pushing it in while it's at rest position.

I say.... You have the distinct possibility of having had a moron assemble your brake masters that you've put on. Like cyanide pills in Aspirin.... Sometimes there's a pissed off idiot working in manufacturing....

7: The fluid rushing back into the master bowls and splashing out is a normal thing in chevy style masters and several other brands. It's normal. When releasing the brake pedal with the reservoir off you need to do it slowly or the fluid ends up on the Hood and floor....

I hope you find your solution.
FEandGoingBroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Subscriber

Assuming you got all the air out of the system you may need to adjust the rear brakes.

1965 Mustang Fastback 331, T5, 9" 3.50
1967 Mustang Fastback 331, T5, 8" 3.80
1967 Mustang Fastback A code GT 350
1969 Mach 1 428
arnoldtx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

That's what I said in #3... Seems to be a lot of rear brakes out of adjustment around here lately....
Old 02-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is a shot in the dark but it might be your problem as I had this same problem when I replaced my front discs and added rear disc brakes on my 70 Mach1. I assumed it was the rear because they were different from original and I kept messing with them BIG MISTAKE alot of wasted time.

It was my front calibers, I had them on the wrong sides ( Switched ) left on right & right on left which put the bleeders facing towards back and left a small pocket of air at the top of calibers, after learning this from another mustang site member that they are side specific and bleeders must face up I had problem solved in a couple hours. Just a thought you might want to check this out.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Good advice!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

I been through all that.I tightened the back shoes till they scrubbed the hubs . Same thing there.Made me think it was in the front for back shoes were near locked . Hit line lock all works .
Years ago the booster was removed ,now manual brakes. The car has a 427 high rise motor ,booster gone gave more room.Brakes worked before I changed everything.
I looked in old ford book month ago and it stated if the calibers were on wrong side there would be a air pocket being the bleeder would be down allowing air pocket at top .Done checked that but was a thought at one time.
If air was in line looks to me the pedal would be spongy when mashed , nope.Just seems to me air would be somewhere being all lines have been rerouted
Also seems the line lock would not hold but it does . i will tackle it again in a day or so .Will relook everything.I do know one thing . No matter what kind of problem there is with a car this site is a great place to fix it.Been a couple years sense I logged in here and I see FE has made alot of post , goodness man.All I can say about that is keep up the post for am sure you have saved alot of money to people that comes here with your and everyone elses help .Ashame good people live far away and never meet.
Rcode427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

IF you STILL got problems and did ALL that you said you did above. You just need to buck up and put an adjustable pushrod in the master and make that bastage LONGER!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.