Need some help with 289!! - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
FordMuscleForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Need some help with 289!!

Bought a rebuilt 289 with with cam one up from stock, edelbrock 2121 intake. I added a distributor (stock with pertronix) and a edelbrock 1403 with no spacer. I set the valves and filled it with antifreeze which started to hit the floor from back of intake at #8 cyl. Pulled intake, bad gasket alignment let leak straight out back, did not get into engine...good. Went looking for gaskets and find there has been issues with this intake. Bought best gasket and installed with updated info. Fired car up and it barely runs. Have messed with timing but not carb. Firing order is correct. Switched back to points to try it but made no difference. Something is major wrong. Big vacuum leak?? Looked intake over for empty hole or something. I do okay as assembler, not worth much as trouble shooter...that is why I usually start with new stuff. Can someone point to the best starting point? Should the carb run right out of the box?
57teeburd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Subscriber

Re: Need some help with 289!!

Need to define barely runs in a bit more detail.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

It has a chug-chug idle...am going out this a.m. to see if I have spark at every hole. When I pull the vacuum to the tranny i get a good idea of what a big leak would be like....better spray some ether I spose? When it is warmed up it has a small surge in rpm every so often. When I got this thing, the guy had non-rail rockers thrown on. I pulled my rail rockers and pushrods from my tired 67 289 and swapped them out. I have machine shop paper work that says 67 but the guy I bought it from claimed it was a late 65. It is a 67 engine on the bill....my 67 stuff should be O.K. ? Cam make a difference?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Subscriber

Doesn't idle well.
check initial timing - sounds like you did that
adjust idle jet screws on carb - all the way in lightly and start at 1 1/2 turns out and go from there
look for fuel leaking down into carb from venturi at idle(float adjustment)
look for open vacuum ports on the carb or leaking vacuum lines
make sure the vacuum advance is hooked up to the right port on the carb

The Edelbrock carb's are bad about little bits of trash jamming up the idles. You may have to open up the carb and spray it all out with B12 and put it back together. If you do this on a white paper towel you can see if any junk comes out. If the carb has been sitting up for months it needs to be cleaned.

Idle hunting
too much initial timing and/or idle on carb set too high
leaking floats
vacuum leaks
choke flapper valve moving around

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Got saddled with a honeydew list...will try hunting tomorrow. Thanks for the input. Hope I didn't buy a boat anchor, the rocker thing has me nervous.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

I had a chug chug issues once ( Besides in the bar ). And it ended up being that I had set the rockers to tight. May want to go over them again.

And check your timing.

You can use Non rail rockers if you have guide plates or HiPo heads. Think HiPo heads have built in guide slots? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Jet

Last edited by Jetfixr320; 10-28-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Jetfixr320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tech Contributor

Garage

Jet is on the right track..If the heads are 65s they should have the close tolerance pushrod holes(rectangular slot) and must run the non rail rockers...If they are 67s they will have a larger hole where the pushrod goes through the head and need the rail rockers to keep the rocker arm aligned with the valve stem..You shouldn't mix rail rockers with the close tolerance pushrod holes or you can get binding of the pushrods...Getting back to the intake manifold has the intake or your heads been milled?..It shouldn't be that hard to get it to seal up..

1968 mustang 408W Hybrid..Burns gas and rubber!
11.59@120.95 with 1.68 60ft
frdnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Warmed her up and set the valves....did not seem to make a difference in the idle. Sprayed some starting fluid around carb base and intake....could not tell any change in rpm. My old vacuum gauge says 10 -15 at idle but with so much flutter is hard to tell exactly. Acts like a leak though.....
Old 11-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tech Contributor

Garage

Does it smoothe out any if you apply some choke?

1968 mustang 408W Hybrid..Burns gas and rubber!
11.59@120.95 with 1.68 60ft
frdnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Is it possible you have a cam that requires the 351W firing order? I've seen this throw some really good gear heads before.

Quote from article...

"All's in Order
Many neophyte Ford freaks don't realize that the firing order of the early 351W engine is different from the 221-, 260-, 289-, 302- and late 351W engines. The early 351W's firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, while the smaller Windsor engine's firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. What makes this interesting is that 289/302 cams are completely interchangeable with 351W cams, providing you match the firing order to the camshaft. If a 289/302 cam is used in a 351W engine, the firing order must be changed to the 302 sequence by moving the wires on the distributor cap. The same procedure is used if a 351W cam is used in a 289/302W engine where the firing order in the distributor cap must match the camshaft."
Old 11-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Did try some choke...did not help. The firing order for the 351 cam is a thought. Will try that in the a.m. ! Thanks for the help guys, my weather is getting colder here and I do not have a heated shop so time is getting short...gotta get this thing on the road and break it in......... just in time to moth-ball it.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57teeburd View Post
Bought a rebuilt 289 with with cam one up from stock, edelbrock 2121 intake. I added a distributor (stock with pertronix) and a edelbrock 1403 with no spacer. I set the valves and filled it with antifreeze which started to hit the floor from back of intake at #8 cyl. Pulled intake, bad gasket alignment let leak straight out back, did not get into engine...good. Went looking for gaskets and find there has been issues with this intake. Bought best gasket and installed with updated info. Fired car up and it barely runs. Have messed with timing but not carb. Firing order is correct. Switched back to points to try it but made no difference. Something is major wrong. Big vacuum leak?? Looked intake over for empty hole or something. I do okay as assembler, not worth much as trouble shooter...that is why I usually start with new stuff. Can someone point to the best starting point? Should the carb run right out of the box?
Unless you know the builder well, tear it apart and check the cam, timing chain setup. You have no idea what they put in it. Might have an old cam he wanted to get rid off and flat lobes.
dacofaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Smile Re: Need some help with 289!!

Just wanted to let everyone who offered help what the problem was. I pulled the distributor with the pertronix and bought a new distributor with cap, points, rotor, and condensor. Runs! Did not seem as though the bearings in the old dist. were bad but must have been. Have not tried it but I am curious about the pertronix. It could the issue also. Anyways, thanks again for the help....I learn alot just by reading posts.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Subscriber

Glad you figured it out and it was something simple. When electronic stuff looses its brain just about anything can happen. If the bushings/bearings are shot in the pertronix distributor you should see and feel a noticable wobble or slack in the shaft. If you look at your distributor cap you might also see that the rotor tip has cut a groove in the point terminals inside the cap.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.