What's distributor do you recommend for a 289?? - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
FordMuscleForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

What's distributor do you recommend for a 289??

I just bought a new MSD 6AL ignition on craigslist...now I need a distributor. 289 motor with a Edelbrock Performer manifold, Street
Avenger 570 and 2-1/4" exhaust with headers. Car is driven a few times a week.

What do you recommend based on your experience for a distributor?? I'm looking for a good deal, any suggestions where to buy??

Thanks for the help!!!
Gasgacinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 04:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Subscriber

Re: What's distributor do you recommend for a 289??

Take a look at the Summit all in ones. They can be wired with the MSD box.

Summit Racing SUM-850303-1 - Summit Racing Street & Strip® Ready-to-Run Billet Distributors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Summit Racing SUM-850303 - Summit Racing Street & Strip® Ready-to-Run Billet Distributors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

1965 Mustang Fastback 331, T5, 9" 3.50
1967 Mustang Fastback 331, T5, 8" 3.80
1967 Mustang Fastback A code GT 350
1969 Mach 1 428
arnoldtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasgacinch View Post
I'm looking for a good deal ...
You can wire to your stock distributor for now, and it (presumably) has a working timing curve and vac advance. Point is, it can be wired to most any distributor, so if your stock one is in good shape, use it and upgrade it to a magnetic pickup (Pertronix I) as you have funds for years of carefree service. For that matter, the stock points when used with MSD will last 10s of thousands of miles as there is no load going through the points anymore. If it's shot, then any distributor will do, and the Summit versions suggested would be fine.

Another popular good deal that needs no upgrades is using a Duraspark distributor. With it's stock magnetic pickup and your choice of small or large diameter cap to prevent crossfire. About $50 at your local parts store and wires right into MSD. Any 1974-1984 302 application will do, but pick a lighter vehicle (like a Mustang II) for a better timing curve. If you're not the type to set your own timing curves, then another advantage is to use a service like Performance Distributors that will set one for you on their machines to match your engine combo, saving time and gaining performance and mileage.

David

Performance Distributors (and others) can set-up a DS just for you, at a cost generally less than a generic aftermarket distributor that requires tuning:

Last edited by PSIG; 03-31-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
PSIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Stock points or Duraspark--either recurved. John
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks. This is all good information. I can handle setting my timing curve...never done it before, but I'm fairly confident to handle something like that. I would appreciate a distributor that is easy to work for a newb! I don't think I'm interested in keeping the points anymore. I do like the idea of better mileage and efficiency. Thanks again,
Old 04-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Another option if your wanting to keep the stock look like we did is to send your distributor to this guy and he will rebuild it and install a MSD trigger in it then set the curve to your engine specs. Ours has been in our 351C with a MSD box for 2 yrs with no issues at all..... Jim

Dave's Small-Body HEIs
Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

If you already have the MSD box use an MSD distributor.If you look around you can find one used for a decent price.I sold one for $100 when I didn't have any cars with a 302.Then about 2 months later I bought a car with a 289 and found another MSD dist on craigslist for $100.It's the big cap with mechanical advance which is what I had on my other car.
ghettoshelf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Does anyone have experience running an MSD Pro Billet Ready to Run (no. 8479) or the newer E-Curve (no. 8503)? What did you think and did you use the 6al box with it?
Old 04-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

I had a ready to run in my 351W in my 69 Ranchero.I had no problems with it.I used it without a box.Pulled it when I sold the Ranchero.It will be going in my Torino.I have also used them in customers cars.The only one I had a problem with was in a 62 Thunderbird 390.It had a bad PC board.Sent it back to MSD and got another and the car has been fine so far.If you already have a box I would just use a pro billet dist.The only issue with a ready to run is they are taller because of all the guts inside of them instead of a stand alone box.I had to use a air cleaner spacer on the Thunderbird to get the air cleaner to clear.The ready to run is an easy 3 wire hook up and now they come with the ability to run an outboard rev limiter.
ghettoshelf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Agreed with Ghetto - watch your altitude. These things are a bit taller and can cause interference you don't expect. That said, I have done a couple of each on street cars. The E-Curve is super-simple for setting generic linear mechanical and vacuum curves, but the Pro Billet has finer adjustment if you're after the last few HP. I don't use a box with any street car so I can tune for both best power and better mileage.

David

Last edited by PSIG; 04-07-2012 at 09:31 AM.
PSIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks guys...good info!! I think I'll go for the Pro Street Billet and I'll pass on the ready to run. I saw on Ebay that they had two Ready to Run's at less then the Pro Street Billet. I don't want to deal with the clearance issue either. So, thanks again!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Subscriber

I am running the MSD ready to run in my 1966 mustang and a 289. No clearance issues with the height. Nice unit , easy three wire hook up and as far as the advance curve I have been experimenting with it and just changed the stock springs to the lighter ones. Big improvement. Good tech on line if you want the play by play. I did have the Pertronix III and the stock distributor re curved. It worked just as well.

Greg
Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Greg...what kind of intake & air cleaner are you running. Is it a high rise manifold? I'm probably going to ditch the stock air cleaner assembly and go with the traditional "hi po" chrome air cleaner. My intake is a Motorcraft intake, which is actually an Edelbrock Performer RPM. Maybe I won't have any clearance issues if I get the ready to run.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Subscriber

No point using a RTR with a 6AL box , you end up basically with 2 modules then and have to trigger on the white . Take advantage of the 6AL and go the billet and use the mag pick up setup.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Subscriber

I have the Hi Po air cleaner and the Edelbrock F4B. Just found out the distributor is hitting my water neck on the intake making it hard to turn the distributor. Nice and easy to do adjustments.

Greg
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.