Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

RUST: '69 Trunk Floor Patch or Replace?

831 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Gydyup 
#1 ·
Hello. Just bought a '69. My first project car. In decent shape but for the passenger side trunk floor has some significant rust that has gone completely through. The first patch is about a ten inches ling and runs along the section where the floor bends for the gas tank bolts (see picture). The other section of rust is on the flat surface next to the wheel well. There are a few sporadic holes.

My question are, is this something I can patch? or can I replace just the rusted out portion of the trunk floor? If I took it to a body shop what would be the cost? I don't own a welder or plasma cutter so it would have to be more than the cost of buying them. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Your pics don't show up, at least on this computer.

I had some rust in my 67 where the prev owner had put a battery, and no protection...it was also along the top of the rear frame rail.

Overall, I replaced a lot of metal in my car, but instead of totally cutting out a quarter, or trunk floor, or trunk drop apron, I would by the panel, and cut out only what needed to be replaced. Sometimes is more work, sometimes its less. But I wanted to keep as much orig metal on mine as I could, and like you, only had small areas of rust.

You can go to my making progress pages, 67 Mustang Coupe, and see where I patched in panels and did the trunk work. A body shop is gonna hit you for 20 bucks at least per hour, and materials. AND they will want to do the whole trunk floor, makes em more money. So you take a 100 dollar panel or so, and it will cost you 1500 to have it put in.

Reactions: Greysuit
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.