Help with a C6 , full throttle shift issue - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Help with a C6 , full throttle shift issue

All about the engine / trans / rear end set up first

Engine - 408 w , afr195 heads , performer RPM , 750HP carb , 35-427-8 comp roller cam , at idle approx 11 in of vacuum

Trans - C6 with a Hughes 43-35 converter ( 10 in , 3500 rpm stall converter) , vacuum modulator is there and vac line connected to vac port on front of carb throttle plate , no kick down rod connected to carb

Rear end - narrowed Ford 8.8 with 3:73 gears and a mini spool

Rear tires - MT 8.5 radial drag slicks

No for a drescription of the Tran shift issue

If normal driving , light throttle and manual shift 1-2 and 2-3 shift work normal ,,

Reverse works fine.

If at the drag strip ,, going through burnt out ,, start burn out with trans in 1st ,, get tires spinning / half throttle I shift into to second , trans goes into second , instantly .. no 2nd gear slip all is normal or what I would expect ..

Roll out of the burn out box in second ,, while car is moving forward ,, pull shifter into 1st , prestage / stage , get on foot brake /stall converter - approx 2650 rpm when the light goes green , flat foot the throttle ,, car launches great ( 1.62 sec 60 ft time ) car pull really hard up to my 1-2 shift point (5900 rpm ) , I manual shift into 2nd gear and nothing no 2nd gear , I let off and then stab the throttle a couple times ,, still no 2nd gear ,, rpm is now approaching 7000 rpm and I manual shift into 3rd gear , trans responds well and shifts into 3rd gear ..

I am wonder what the heck just happened,,, confused ... exist the drag still and drive slowly back to the time keeps office to pick up my time slip ... will driving back to the time slip office doing maybe 35 ish MPH in 3rd ,, I pull shift down to 2nd ,, trans manual down shifts into second no issues ,, pull shift down to 1st , trans manual down shift to 1st no issies ,, I manual shift 1-2 and then 2-3 with light thorttle ,, no issues again ..

Yesterday at Sacramento drags still I made three pass all very similar as to described above ,, with very similar results ...

I am totally stumped ..

Sorry for the long winded description of my C6 trans shift issues

Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:30 AM
Tech Contributor Gold

Re: Help with a C6 , full throttle shift issue

Good description of issue, sorry, I have no idea, I am clutch guy....but not sure your gonna get an answer on this forum, maybe Yellowbullet or 460ford..even though a SBF, lots of experience drag racing and autos on those sites.

Sounds like a nice build, good 60 ft, if running good what ETs you dialing in.

Good luck.

Project 521 Gydyup - 67 Mustang Coup
521 BBF-Solid Roller -Kaase P51 Heads-Victor-AED Dominator - Jerico DR4, Long Inline Shifter.
Shortened & Mini Tubbed. Strange Nodular 9, Spooled 4:56, Mark Williams Axles.
"old School - WWDD"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.