Help me build up my '75 302, Need info. - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Question Help me build up my '75 302, Need info.

Hi guys, I just bought a '64 Ranchero that has a 302 out of a 1975 Mustang II the guy tells me.
The intake manifold tells me it is a '75.

anyways its a weak dog with a two barrel, you know I'm sure that this engine when new was rated at a whopping 122 HP!

Anyways sure I figure time for bolt ons & I plan to tow my little bass boat with this little Ranchero that weighs about 1,800 lbs ( Trailer & Boat & outboard & fuel etc )
So I'll want a basic low end torque engine.
I'm figuring a performer intake & not sure what 4 barrel carb I'll want yet & a set of headers.. etc Bla bla bla.....

I'm figuring that this engine is an 8 to 1 Compression ratio engine?
Am I correct with that guess?
If so was this done by deep dished pistons or open chamber heads or both?
is there a better set of factory close chamber heads ( commonly available ) I can swap to that will increase my CR?
I'll rebuild the engine one day & run AFR aluminum heads but until I start getting steady work I cant even dream about that stuff right now.

Anyways thanks for all you input in advance..

Oh & one other thing why is most people don't like the Mustang II? ( Well this engine might be part of it I suppose )
I've always like the small body style much more than the beast that was out right before it.

If I had my choice I'd get one & fix it up to look like this.

I've always loved this picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Tech Contributor

Garage
Re: Help me build up my '75 302, Need info.

Ford did lots of changing during the 70s with different pistons and heads to keep compression down..In your case with the 1975 motor ford increased the deck hieght of the block(73-76) by .023 to keep compression at a measly 8:1..The combustion chamber in the heads is listed at 58.2ccs which is fairly small and could be much worse..You could pick up a little compression by installing early 289 heads but you would still only be at about 8.3 or so so not a big increase and not worth the effort....The best fix of course would be to tear down the engine and have the deck height of the block milled back to the normal 8.206 deck height...Not an easy fix and you would probably want to wait until you rebuild the motor....Your normal bolt ons will help with the power but it will never be a torque monster...A supercharger would work well with the low compression but probably won't fit your budget..
I think the reason the Mustang II wasn't well recieved was that it originally was not available with a V-8..Then when they did add the V8 it was rated so low in hp...That and sharing alot of the same platform as a pinto turned people off...I personally like the cars..They are fun to drive with the 4 speed trans and the engine isn't really that far off what the older 302s were since the way hp was rated was changed in the early 70s to net instead of gross..

1968 mustang 408W Hybrid..Burns gas and rubber!
11.47@123.35 with a crappy 1.72 60ft.

Last edited by frdnut; 02-03-2012 at 11:12 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input at least I now know to not bother looking for heads maybe instead of milling the deck I'd just swap out the pistons to a higher CP ratio or both?

A supercharger has crossed my mind, but these days anyways, I could not afford that.
But it sure would be cool.

How many HP you think the basic bolt ons might add?
I might as well as I can afford it start buying parts that I can re-use later.

Then again what does a small B&M type roots blower cost for a 302 these days?
Might add up to be worth while later on down the road.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 PM

Garage

1969 or 1970 351W heads, shaved down a bit will give you decent compression, and will flow better than the stock 302 heads, especially if you have the shop mill out the bumps in the exhaust ports. A Dual plane intake such as the performer, and a 600 holley 4bbl carb will work well, along with some 1 1/2" primary tube equal length headers into a 2 1/2" exhaust with good flowing mufflers, such as flowmaster.

All that aside, I would seriously consider just running the car the way it is, and find a good running 351W for it. With headers and a 4bbl, the 351W will give you all the power you need.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT68 View Post
1969 or 1970 351W heads, shaved down a bit will give you decent compression, and will flow better than the stock 302 heads, especially if you have the shop mill out the bumps in the exhaust ports. A Dual plane intake such as the performer, and a 600 holley 4bbl carb will work well, along with some 1 1/2" primary tube equal length headers into a 2 1/2" exhaust with good flowing mufflers, such as flowmaster.

All that aside, I would seriously consider just running the car the way it is, and find a good running 351W for it. With headers and a 4bbl, the 351W will give you all the power you need.
Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:23 PM

My dad used to have an 85 with a 302 and it pulled more weight decently. But if you long for more, a nice dual plane intake and a rv cam should wake that 302 right up. Hell I think there is some power to be unlocked by setting the cam straight up. If torque is your overall goal I've heard long tubes cut your torque. That being said, I do run long tube headers on my 390 and I would still feel okay hauling anything within its rating.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Not Confirmed

Thumbs up Re: Help me build up my '75 302, Need info.

the 351w is not an easy fit it sits higher and wider but its been done. I too have a cobra II 302 auto, added street performer intake and edlebrock 1406 4 barrel with a rv cam out for my old econoline 351w. cut the exhaust at the y and welded calvinized pipe from home depot to a compact set of muffler,s and came out in front of the back wheels, it now gets up and wents quite well for that weak 302 had to add 215/60/14 radial T/A s to it in order to keep rubber on it instead for leaving the 13 inch rubber all over the pavement it now threatens to pretzel the car, pics later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.