Problem replacing my brakes! Help - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Problem replacing my brakes! Help

Okay, I ordered new brake pads for my 1974 Mustang and I got them and took the old ones off of my rotor which was worn quite a bit, but after the piston in the caliper was compressed all the way back down I could not get the caliper to fit on straight with the new pads in. I measured and only had a half inch of clearance. Why would there be such little clearance even with the worn rotors? If I had new rotors there would be no way in hell I could get the pads on.

Any ideas? Suggestions? If I just ordered new calipers, rotors and pads and installed everything new, would that take care of my problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Post Re: Problem replacing my brakes! Help

When you compressed the caliper pistons, did you open the bleeders to allow the fluid to displace (as opposed to it's trying to exit the MC)?

The pistons may be partially frozen and will not compress all of the way. The pads may be 'El Cheapos that are nor surfaced correctly.

The easiest way is to buy quality loaded calipers. It is all done for you.

DISCLAIMER-

The above posted information is in my opinion only. It may contain copy and paste material(s). Your opinion(s) and mileage may vary.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:09 AM

Re: Problem replacing my brakes! Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
When you compressed the caliper pistons, did you open the bleeders to allow the fluid to displace (as opposed to it's trying to exit the MC)?

The pistons may be partially frozen and will not compress all of the way. The pads may be 'El Cheapos that are nor surfaced correctly.

The easiest way is to buy quality loaded calipers. It is all done for you.
SHOCK ALERT!! i agree with kultulz on this. good quality loaded calipers are the best way to go.

64 falcon
66 mustang
82 fairmont
a mans fate is a mans fate
and life is but an illusion
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 AM

Question Re: Problem replacing my brakes! Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

SHOCK ALERT!!

i agree with kultulz on this. good quality loaded calipers are the best way to go.

Let me see if I got his right...

1) Who cares if you agree with my post? Exactly what is your importance regarding it?

2) You have nothing better to do than read old posts?

DISCLAIMER-

The above posted information is in my opinion only. It may contain copy and paste material(s). Your opinion(s) and mileage may vary.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Let me see if I got his right...

1) Who cares if you agree with my post? Exactly what is your importance regarding it?

2) You have nothing better to do than read old posts?
i thought you did the childish thing and put me on ignore. regarding question one, if i agree with someones post, regardless of who they are, i will say so, it reinforces the advice they give, again regardless of who agrees with the post. second, when i look into a forum, i dont check the post date on posts that are highlighted as having new posts in them, i read the posts and respond.

my question to you is, why are you being so childish about this?

64 falcon
66 mustang
82 fairmont
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Cool Re: Problem replacing my brakes! Help

Quote:

i thought you did the childish thing and put me on ignore.
I usually read thru before actually signing in and then sign in only if I want to post. It saves me a lot of aggravation except in cases like this.

DISCLAIMER-

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I usually read thru before actually signing in and then sign in only if I want to post. It saves me a lot of aggravation except in cases like this.
in other words you put me on ignore, but you are not ignoring me, flip flop much?

64 falcon
66 mustang
82 fairmont
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

He's like that. testy little bugger that G man.

Ignore his quips they should be taken with a grain. he get's off put by anyone that disagrees with him, but eventually he comes around.

I must agree about the brakes, but I agree even more that his reply was childish.

I Make a POINT to seek out all single reply or zero reply posts just to see what's what, and I add what I deem necessary just like you do. Keep it up
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEandGoingBroke View Post
He's like that. testy little bugger that G man.

Ignore his quips they should be taken with a grain. he get's off put by anyone that disagrees with him, but eventually he comes around.

I must agree about the brakes, but I agree even more that his reply was childish.

I Make a POINT to seek out all single reply or zero reply posts just to see what's what, and I add what I deem necessary just like you do. Keep it up
yeah, he wasnt like that a couple of years ago though. oh well i tend to just deal with people like him.

64 falcon
66 mustang
82 fairmont
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 AM

Question Re: Problem replacing my brakes! Help

Quote:

in other words you put me on ignore, but you are not ignoring me, flip flop much?
No...

Let me try this again.

When I come on, I do not register at first (explanation in first post) and this bypasses the IGNORE FEATURE. Now if I read a thread that has a post by you within it, I can see it .

I would not normally reply but this one post of yours was so silly I had to .

Now why would I subject myself to rattling your cage? Damn if I know.

Couldn't both of us just mutually agree to go into IGNORE PHASE with one another?

DISCLAIMER-

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
No...

Let me try this again.

When I come on, I do not register at first (explanation in first post) and this bypasses the IGNORE FEATURE. Now if I read a thread that has a post by you within it, I can see it .

I would not normally reply but this one post of yours was so silly I had to .

Now why would I subject myself to rattling your cage? Damn if I know.

Couldn't both of us just mutually agree to go into IGNORE PHASE with one another?
if you want to ignore me, then just do it, and stop being childish. ignore lists are for those that like acting like petulant children who pout when they dont get their way. for me i dont ignore people, i prefer to challenge them, sorry its the racer in me. besides, when you get over yourself and your self importance, you will realize that other people have knowledge and abilities that you lack, and you can learn from them. you are a new school type where everything has to be just so or it isnt right. i and psig, are old school types where we make do with what is available. neither school of thought is wrong, and neither is superior to the other, they are just different. and for the record, i prefer not having to modify everything to make something work, but that isnt always an option now is it?

64 falcon
66 mustang
82 fairmont
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 03:24 AM

Cool Re: Problem replacing my brakes! Help

Quote:

if you want to ignore me, then just do it
OK...

Quote:
This message is hidden because rbohm is on your ignore list.

DISCLAIMER-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.