How can I change my odometer to the correct mileage? - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
FordMuscleForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

How can I change my odometer to the correct mileage?

Hello. I have an '88 LX that came with the 85 MPH speedometer. YUCK! I just bought a 140 MPH speedo from a GT at the swap meet. I would like to roll the odometer back from 58000 to 50000 so that it will be accurate. In 10 years I will be 49 and won't be able to remember what my mileage is really supposed to be. Is there an easy way to roll it back? Thanks a bunch.
BluBlood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Re: How can I change my odometer to the correct mileage?

Full disassembly... Don't loose the clips.
FEandGoingBroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBlood View Post
Hello. I have an '88 LX that came with the 85 MPH speedometer. YUCK! I just bought a 140 MPH speedo from a GT at the swap meet. I would like to roll the odometer back from 58000 to 50000 so that it will be accurate. In 10 years I will be 49 and won't be able to remember what my mileage is really supposed to be. Is there an easy way to roll it back? Thanks a bunch.
Rolling back speedometers is illegal - period. I forget what year, sometime in the late ‘70's ? Since that time federal law requires anti-tampering mechanisms must be built into odometers. If you try to roll it back, the numbers will separate - it gives a very, simple, very visible and easily recognized indication of tampering...whether it was under good intentions or not! When I changed my ‘83 speedometer from 85 to 140, I bought a new one from FMS (one of the many names for the enthusiast lines ... ford motorsport, SVO, SVT, FMS - open request to Ford, jus' pick a name 'n stick with it, jeez!).

I took it to the local distributer / speedometer shop - had him match the old mileage to the new one and write a letter, documenting the change. If you are concerned about authenticity...put the new speedometer in, write up a notice of the mileage on both speedometers, the VIN number/license plate of the car and have it notarized. Keep it with the other important papers, legal papers, registration, etc - that you keep for your cars. Ten years from now, if/when you sell it...you should still have all the info. You will still be faced with the problem of whether the buyer will believe the documentation or not, but at least there us a paper trail.

Good Luck.

Oops: For a minute, I forgot the '88 has an electronic speedometer. You will need to have it reset, there is/are devices that can recalibrate them. but again, there are anti-tampering indicators which will allow anyone with a little knowledge to know its a). not the original speedometer and b). has been reset ... the average guy would not be interested in crawling under the dash to find out - unless its were being sold as a one owner/original - in that case, you can bet, I, or anyone else believe...but verify.

Last edited by Beoweolf; 06-23-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Beoweolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBlood View Post
Rolling back speedometers is illegal - period. I forget what year, sometime in the late 70's ? Since that time federal law requires anti-tampering mechanisms must be built into odometers. If you try to roll it back, the numbers will separate - it gives a very, simple, very visible and easily recognized indication of tampering...whether it was under good intentions or not! When I changed my 83 speedometer from 85 to 140, I bought a new one from FMS (one of the many names for the enthusiast lines ... ford motorsport, SVO, SVT, FMS - open request to Ford, jus' pick a name 'n stick with it, jeez!).

I took it to the local distributer / speedometer shop - had him match the old mileage to the new one and write a letter, documenting the change. If you are concerned about authenticity...put the new speedometer in, write up a notice of the mileage on both speedometers, the VIN number/license plate of the car and have it notarized. Keep it with the other important papers, legal papers, registration, etc - that you keep for your cars. Ten years from now, if/when you sell it...you should still have all the info. You will still be faced with the problem of whether the buyer will believe the documentation or not, but at least there us a paper trail.

Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

I was aware that it was only illegal for DEALERSHIPS to rollback odometers and represent that # as true mileage.

The owner of a vehicle can do whatever he wishes to his odometer and neither the Federal NOR State government can bring charges to him or her.

That is why there is a Box on your title to check "Not actual Mileage" or "exceeds Odometer's capability" Helps to CYA, and the government came up with it and put it there themselves for the old school odometers with only 5 digits...

There ARE severe penalties for dealerships that do it though. But I've Never heard of a private citizen being charged with a crime (motor vehicle related or not) for doing this.

I think that making his new odometer match the original car mileage is highly respectable.

If it's digital, I have no clue how he'd do it though...
Old 06-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've been doing a little research and as best as I can tell, it is only against the law in Texas to change my odometer if I am trying to misrepresent the mileage to a buyer. I am supposed to state if it is accurate or not on the title. Since I never get rid of anything, this shouldn't be an issue. I'm just interested in showing the real mileage so I don't have to remember anything. I do think it might be a good idea to have some type of paper trail to prevent any potential problems and if by chance I did sell the car in the future, I would be covered. I don't think this is a digital speedometer. It has the same look to it as my '66 Galaxie odometer. I need to look more closely, but I can't figure out how to get inside to manipulate it. I do appreciate all of your feedback.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Take it all apart....
Old 06-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

stick a drill in it and spin it for 3 days at 140 mph to get it to the desired mileage !!
mustang42782 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Subscriber

with only an 8k difference i wouldnt be bothering,but thats just me
69 xw falcon wagon
08 softail
steharz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

I did like FEandGoingBroke said and took it apart. It wasn't bad at all. *I took the clear lense off. *There are 4 faceplates that overlap and are glued a little bit together; something like contact cement. The faceplate for the oil pressure and gas gauge overlaps the speedo. I took out the 4 scews that hold the faceplate on and then pulled the needle off the oil pressure, but couldn't get it off the gas gauge without possibly damaging it. * I was then able to carefully push the speedo assembly out. *The odometer has a row of numbers with a pin through it that the numbers spin on. Just above numbers is row of small plastic gears; one gear per number. These gears spin on a pin also. This is the pin I had to deal with.* I had my son hold the assembly on the workbench and backed up one end of the pin against a small socket to drive the pin through. I used a small punch and gently tapped the pin back about 1/8 inch. That end of the pin came out of the hole and I was able to lift the gears up enough to disengage them from the numbers. * I then rolled the numbers around to the correct mileage being careful because some of the plastic seems delicate. Then I aligned the gears up with the numbers and put the pin back in its mounting hole. I used some pliers and easily pressed the pin back in its position. * I cleaned the faceplates and lense up with some soap and water and buttoned it all back up. Piece of cake. I only did this to make my new used odometer match the accurate mileage of the car. I don't intend on selling this Mustang and have no intention of defrauding anyone. I don't encourage anyone else to and would quickly turn anyone in that is lying about their car to put more money in their pocket.Thanks for all the input and thanks to FEandGoingBroke for giving me the push to tear it apart.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Just trying to help, not trying to defraud anyone ... But what the guy above said,,, all this for 8,000 miles.... That's like No mileage at all... Why even bother? (other than to learn how to repair a broken odometer that is )
Old 06-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

It would have bothered me every time I looked at the odometer and knew it was wrong. Maybe I need counseling. My wife thinks so. Anyway, it gave a chance to clean everything up. The new gauge assembly wasn't quite as clean as the original.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Used a drill on mine with a screwdriver chucked in the end of it with some rubber tape wrapped around it to keep it from slipping. Spin it to the mileage you want and re-install it. How many old Fords do we drive that haven't exceeded the 99,000 mile mark and rolled over anyway? Not a selling point or act of fraud. I reset mine to zero when the engine and tranny were rebuilt and I sleep just fine. I would inform the buyer if I ever sold it.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Each of you make an "impassioned" plea for why it’s "OK" to change the odometer ro something less than the actual mile that have calculated. Let’s just say that you are as honest as you say...you would Never, misrepresent the mileage shown on the altered odometer as the actual mileage - right. Stange, I haven't noticed one guy happy about putting in odometer/speedometer with more miles. If it was OK to toss in any ol' speed odometer, then you would think there might be a 50/50 split?

The problem is the next owner and the next owner and the next....

We already have evidence in these pages that family history, family legends of a car that uncle "Joe" got from the factory with a 427, 8v - when matched against the invoice, Ford factory records or reading the VIN show a whole different truth. Which is more likely ... that the owner altered the car or the car was originally built with a different motor, drive train?

Come on guys...this does not hold up to even the simplest investigation. The only reason to change the odometer is to give a false sense of exclusivity to a car or to reflect replacement of a failed part, which should be directly matched to what is indicated on the original. We all want a low mileage, early model car - some survivor that was owned by a "little old lady" the only drove it to church on Sunday, plus she was basically a sinner - so she only drove it to church for Easter and Christmas and that was just around the block. That's why the car (a 1956 Crown Victoria) only has 150 miles on it! Look at me, I have a very special car.

Fact is, if you change the odometer, without documenting in an indelible manner (writing it on the title, documenting and notarize and witnessed declaration of fact); if not, sooner or later, someone will represent that mileage as "fact".

The altered odometer law(s) were passed not because too many people were being too honest, it was passed to make sure we all know it is not a good thing not fair – not legal, and to ensure there could be a penalty accessed, if it is discovered that the odometer has been tampered with ... end of story.

If you really want to hold on to the illusion that it’s OK, then why ask? Just do it and keep it to yourself.

The inconvenient truth is we all for some reason or other have decided to judge the condition of the "Whole car" based on a very narrow basis of miles traveled. Air craft and trucks are judged based on engine hours and age. Cars are judged based on mileage. Neither are perfect, but they are the hallmarks used to judge the vehicle - so once you change them .... it is a form of fraud, good intentioned or not.

Taken from a more basic example; No matter how much cosmetic surgery Cher goes thru, she is still an over 50 year old woman, I don't see her asking to change her birth certificate. Of course, no real Gentleman or Lady would ask her age, but the fact is still the same, appearance have nothing to do fact – this is not a case of Shangri la.

Do we really want to play a Con man/Lawyer game or discuss the facts?

Last edited by Beoweolf; 06-25-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Beoweolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

Well Put Beo, I agree that the morality behind it is good and decent.

I for one never care about the mileage on a car I am about to by, but that's simply becasue I am a mechanic and don't sweat the small schitt..

I totally agree someone changing the #'s to reflect a lesser # than actual # is fradulent, and I do not go along with that.

Remember my 66 Mustang I gave to my sister.

It's got 1,200 miles on the odometer now. 848 miles from my house to hers and then her consequential driving since then. BUT, every single piece of that car was restored to new condition, the engine, drivetrain, interior, dash , instruments, fuel tank, brakes, brake lines, ball joints, tie rod's Etc... Exerything but the steel used to make the spindles, and axle's and housings and body...
So essentially there is ONLY 1,200 miles on the car, when in reality there should be 94K and change plus the 1,200, but which better reflects the condition of the car?

I'm not condoning 'crookery' {just coined that word} but I LOVE a good discussion, and you're points have NOT been altered with the words of my post, the morality of the law and your words still stand.

But my sister's car will never again leave the family, but if it ever does, there is a note in the glove box stating that this car was restored and by whom and the mileage effectivey reads actual miles since it's restoration.

Besides, there is never going to be ANY mustang 6 cyl coupes with less than 50K miles in this condition come up for sale unless it spent it's entire life in the Smithsonian...

Did I just ramble again....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.