idle surge - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
FordMuscleForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Subscriber

Question idle surge

I have changed everthing possible at least once and still the car does not idle wthout surging abot 500 rpm difference,I have cleaned the salt and pepper connections twice,changed both wiring harnesses,iac,mass air,injectors,bap,went to 24lb. ijectors, c&l meter,o2 sensors and the things I have changed are new, 302 with stock trick flow Twisted wedge heads,holley systemax manifold, x cam,fule pressure is 40 lbs,there is just something there that I have not found. It seems to run rich even before i canged from 19 to 24 injectors.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
CHARLESC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Subscriber

Re: idle surge

I battled this problem on my '88 with an hci swap. A surging idle can be caused by a vacuum leak. Check that first. If the C&L is located in the stock position, try clocking(rotating) the meter see if that helps. I ended up moving mine into the fender well with a Power Pipe and it ran much better. The sampling tube in the MAF does not get correct airflow in the stock position with the bend in the air intake tube before it(just my theory). Having it tuned is also good idea given the changes you've made. Spend your money with a tuner that will concentrate on making it run well around town, rather than just WOT. Or buy a PMS, tweecr or other programmer and learn to tune it yourself.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Vacuum leak somewhere. Inspect ALL vacuum hoses and tubes leading to maf.
FEandGoingBroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Subscriber

Had and sometimes have the same issue with `94 GT with mild 331. Had a chip burned to run bigger displacement and 24's, at the time I asked for an idle of 700 rpm but it would hang up to 1100 for 30 secs and sometimes die. , so, I looked for obvious vacuum leaks with lpg enrichment-none found so I re-set up the throttle body adjustments as per BBK instructions. closing the air bleed helped a lot, disconnect the battery after wards for 10 mins or more and let it re "learn" now, 700 rpm most of the time with a hang up of 2-3 secs. air by pass screw is only open 1/2 turn. It's much better but not perfect. With a eec tuning device you can adjust the "decay" rate or dashpot setting and get it perfect.
64post is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Subscriber

Wink Re: idle surge

I agree. It really sounds like you have vacuum leak. Be sure and check at the back of the intake manifold. I have fought the same battle with frustration.
coolreed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.