96 mustang 3.8 5 speed clutch cable problem - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

96 mustang 3.8 5 speed clutch cable problem

I'm helping a friend with a 96 mustang 3.8 5 speed.

The clutch doesn't engage when you step on the pedal.

the cable looks good on the side of the trans and has some tension on it.

when you step on the pedal, it takes too much force, then there is a loud clicking noise under the dash from the pedal pivot area and the pedal travels down and hits the neutral safety switch ok to start the car, but does not engage clutch forks and the car starts in gear.

is there a common failure point where the cable attaches to the pedal? some c-clip or retainer? plastic gears that wear out?

I am 6'2" and could not stand on my head at just the right angle to see how the cable attaches with a mini-maglite on the side of the road.

Can anyone help with a diagram or picture of the most common failure points in the cable clutch system?

thank you for any help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 02:34 PM

Re: 96 mustang 3.8 5 speed clutch cable problem

I have had several clutch cables just "give up" meaning the shield collapses and the cable just doesn't move far enough to disengage the clutch!!!!

Mine were caused by too much heat from headers but I guess in time they will all eventually fail??

Not expensive or hard to replace if you are shorter guy.....may wanna find a little guy to help ya!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

this one is not moving the cable at all.
the pedal is coming loose from something on the firewall above the pivot point.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 03:30 PM

The cable is probably riding off of the pedal quadrant (cable camming guide). Get some mechanic's mirrors and try to get a peek at it. If you can watch it while the pedal moves would be ideal.

David

-=≡ If it was easy everyone would do it ≡=-
[size=1]HotShotsJava.com Hot Shots Java Coffeehouse, Poulsbo ,WA fair trade and 100% organic. Voted best espresso and coffee![/size]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Here's an update:

We just installed the BBK cable kit.
The kit came with cable, quadrant, and firewall mounted adjuster.

Installation was pretty easy except for the quadrant, that was difficult to do for a big dude.

now the problem...
After completing installation instructions, when I pushed the clutch, the pedal was very hard to push in but it had full travel to the floor.

the firewall mounted adjuster was closed all the way.
the cable end was adjusted to about 1/2 of the threads when it made solid contact with the clutch fork
the pressure plate did not disengage all the way
I adjusted the cable end a little at a time untill it only had 1/2 in of threads left showing.
After all of that adjustment with no effect, I started adjusting out the firewall adjuster. 1 full turn at a time.
after several tries with no effect felt in the pedal, i noticed the cable was boogered up, right at the adjuster. There is a big kink in the sleeve.

What happened to the cable sleeve?
Could I have gotten a defective sleeve from BBK?

If I look in the side of the bell housing when the pedal is pushed in, I can see the diaphram springs being pushed in by the release bearing. this means the cable is traveling through the sleeve.
The clutch will not engage enough to go in to any gear no matter how much I adjust it out on either end or both ends at once.

The clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, and flywheel were changed by a nearby "professional" shop with a!@#holes for employees and a questionable reputation, 3 years ago. I am helping my son's friend that lives on my block.
The clutch was always very hard and never seemed to engage all the way. It was always hard to get into 1st gear after their work. Is it possible they threw a new clutch disc in it and closed it up with the old pressure plate that is now too weak to engage all the way?

Am I'm gonna have to pull this tranny and look?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

also...

If the trans is in gear when I start the engine, it does not try to pull forward, until I start releasing the clutch pedal and there is some rattling noise and then the car starts to pull forward. push the clutch back in and I cant pull it out of gear, but it stops pulling forward.

If the trans is in neutral when I start I can't get into any gear with the clutch pedal in the carpet.

when adjusting the firewall adjuster, I can feel the changes in where the "pick up" is in the pedal travel. (out is higher from floor, etc)

when adjusting the cable end, no changes are felt in the pedal, and it wont go into gear.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 03:21 PM

I can't say from here, but I doubt the cable sheath was defective, as there is only so much sheath/sleeve you can try to cram over the cable before it will buckle. The first clue of an issue is the very hard pedal, when it should be relatively light and smooth, and this symptom was present with both of the cables and quadrants. This would indicate an issue either upstream (pedal) or downstream (fork/TOB/clutch assy.) of the quadrant and cable. If the pedal swings freely and smoothly without bearing slop when unloaded (cable disconnected), then the issue is likely downstream in the bellhousing.

Having said that, your friend can still check with BBK for advice and to ensure the product was installed and adjusted correctly. If there is damage to their product, they will be the ones to deal with from this point on their items. On your friend's end, he must ensure the rest of the system is functioning properly, or any claims against their products will be weak or false. That would indicate clutch diagnostics and possible disassembly into the bellhousing would be appropriate. Just my 2¢.

David

[EDIT] I did not see your last post while I was typing. However, it further indicates the problem is not in the BBK product, and rather in some of the moving parts (clutch/trans).

-=≡ If it was easy everyone would do it ≡=-
[size=1]HotShotsJava.com Hot Shots Java Coffeehouse, Poulsbo ,WA fair trade and 100% organic. Voted best espresso and coffee![/size]

Last edited by PSIG; 04-10-2015 at 03:25 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

It also seems to me like something wrong in the bell housing.
I'm thinking failed pressure plate at this point, it just won't lift off the disc.

Thanks for the input
Dave.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:37 PM

Question Re: 96 mustang 3.8 5 speed clutch cable problem

So this was a couple of months ago. What did you find out?????

LBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65FalconSix View Post
It also seems to me like something wrong in the bell housing.
I'm thinking failed pressure plate at this point, it just won't lift off the disc.

Thanks for the input
Dave.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

I think the clutch fork was not aligning the bearing correctly on the pressure plate. Yesterday I replaced the new (BBK? or BKK?) clutch cable that failed (due to a collapsed sleeve near the firewall end) with the factory cable that was not damaged i removed previously. I left the adjuster on the firewall (dialed all the way in) and hooked it to the new billet quadrant. I got under the car and carefully centered the clutch forks and bearing on the pressure plate and installed the cable.

It felt right sitting on the ramps in the driveway. Pedal travel felt correct and clutch takeup started about 1-1/2 or 2 inches off floor and takeup felt right so I went for a ride. No problems backing off ramps in driveway. When I shifted from 1st to 2nd, there was a loud metallic sounding clunk once, but then everything seemed ok. I went around the block with no problems. Shifted 1-2-1 many times with no problems. synchros were smooth.

I drove past my house to go a little further and about a mile from my house when i slowed from 35 mph in 3rd, the clutch was super hard about halfway down it's travel and didn't seem to engage all the way and it started to grind when shifting.

I pulled over and gave the adjuster a few turns out and tried it again. The pedal was still VERY hard (hurt my foot through tennis shoes) and didnt engage the clutch all the way. Adjusting didn't make any noticeable difference in pedal feel, but I got it home...barely.

A clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, and flywheel were replaced 3 years and maybe 10K miles. No slipping once you are going.

I suspect these possibilities:
1. PIVOT STUD BENT causing misalignment of clutch fork pushing bearing at funny angle causing it to seize on the shaft. Not a normal wear part included in a clutch job.

2. Clutch fork retaining clip is failing and fork slips off pivot stud causing misalignment of clutch fork pushing bearing at funny angle causing it to seize on the shaft. Not a normal wear part included in a clutch job.

3. Release bearing and shaft were not properly lubricated at time of clutch job and bearing is seizing on shaft before depressing pressure plate all the way. giving some pedal travel and some plate engagement but not enough.

I'm tearing into it on Monday, tomorrow I have to fix a wheel bearing on my boat trailer. It looked like this when I got home from my last boat trip:
96 mustang 3.8 5 speed clutch cable problem-100_1814.jpg

I hope the axle is ok.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

why did it work for the first few shifts and then return to the original problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.