Lite Makes Mite - 1966 Falcon Front End
Here are some steps I took to detail and lighten up the front suspension pieces on my 1966 Falcon drag car. Pictures read from left to right.
Pictures 1 and 2
The first step was to remove all the factory undercoating under the front aprons, shock towers, and under the front fenders. A scraper, heat gun, and lots of elbow grease were used. It was then sprayed with Ford Gray urethane. The removed undercoating weighed 12 lbs.
I removed the heavy finned 10 x 2 1/2" drums and replaced them with 10 x 1 3/4" rear drums and shoes. The hubs were lightened on a lathe and some extra holes were drilled. The drums are now a slip on style, and 7 lbs. lighter per side.
Pictures 4 and 5
The backing plates were vetilated with a 1" Uni-bit. The spindles had all the unnecessary forging flash removed with a sanding disc. The tubular LCA's and adjustable strut rods saved approximately 12 lbs. per side.
The upper control arm had all the unwanted weight removed with a plasma cutter, and then I went at it with the Uni-bit. Total weight savings on the front end is app. 50 lbs.