Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Oil pan leaking need help how to patch!!!!

35K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  steharz 
#1 ·
I just got my motor put in my 91 ford f-150 4by4.I noticed yesterday my oil pan must have a small rust hole or crack in it it is easy to get to in the wide open.Can I drain the oil and clean it and sand it or wire brush it and use some jb weld it and let it set for 48 hrs then refill.Or is there another way to do it and is jb weld the best to use.Please let me know.

#2 ·
Years ago I had a small hole that developed in a fuel tang on a Fiat. There was this stuff, it was two parts, had to fold them into each other kind of like silly putty. After prepping the problem area I applied the patch and never had another problem with it. Was it JB weld...can't remember? But I was impressed.
Ras Daniel

#4 ·
Kewrmit hit the nail on the head!
Part No. 8267-S
Quick, easy and clean. J-B STIK Weld is a hand kneadable, steel-reinforced epoxy putty adhesive/sealant that will plug holes and make permanent repairs on wet and dry surfaces. It will even cure completely submerged in water or GASOLINE! Simply knead thoroughly, with your fingers, a portion necessary for the repair and apply. J-B Stik will fully cure 20-30 minutes; and can be drilled, sanded, filed, tapped, machined, and painted. J-B Stik requires no tools or "prep time", and makes no mess.
Ras Daniel

#6 ·
If this is just a beater and the hole is small I'd get a screw of appropriate girth (keep it very short though), coat it thickly in JB-Weld, and screw it into the oil pan. Let set for an hour or two then smother some more JB-Weld on the outside.

If this is a nice truck or you go offroading much I'd fix it right. It would suck for that patch to fail and the hole get bigger out deep in the woods.

#7 ·
That's a good way to fix pin holes. Buy more than you need and be prepared to chase leaks - the Mustang has about 4 patches now. Once the rust gets started in those thin tanks, the leaks just keep on coming.

#8 ·
POR-15 used to sell the 2-part epoxy ribbon described in the first post.

#12 ·
ckelly is right about chasing the leaks,i had a 351 that had been sitting on a garage floor for years,the pan had started to rust and i ended up spending more time than it was worth trying to patch that thing-get another pan and save yourself the headaches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.