Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

when 460 is hot, doesn\'t want to start back up on shut-down...vapor lock/start heat soak?

16K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Silverliner 
#1 ·
when 460 is hot, doesn\'t want to start back up on shut-down...vapor lock/start heat soak?

well when the 460 runs for a while and you turn it off and want to turn it back on. it won't until it cools down for a long enough period of time.

i came into conclusion in a post 9 months ago it would be the starter getting hot. just to make sure its that, i just came to think it may also be a vapor lock. however, i don't have the fuel lines near exhaust.

what are some things i should check for? i would hate to be driving off being cool on weekends and not be able to start up my car again until it cools down.

#2 ·

i had one that acted about like what you are describing, found out it was actually the timing chain that was causing the issue, not saying thats your problem but it is an idea.
later

#3 ·

Something is geting too hot. Check your fuel system from the gas tank to the carberator, if any part of the line is too close to a heat source, you may have a vapor lock issue.

Does your engine turn over at a normal speed when you try to start it? If your engine cranks slow, then look at your starter heating up from headers/exhaust pipes.

Look into your ignition wiring to make sure connections are correct and making good contact, so no componant is getting too hot, peventing starting.

#4 ·

well i got all good connections and new wires. however i do only got 2 smallish wires for grounds for chassis to block.

the starter really isn't relaly that close to exhaust. i cna change the starter out real easay. and yes when i try starting it when its hot, all it does is just turn once then die. doesn't do anything else.

i just got feeling if its vapor lock then the motor will still crank. not the case here.

so i'm dead on the starter soak problem. is there something at a hardware place like home depot or something to get a shield? i know you can get metal straps at home depot.

#5 ·

I've seen numerous guys (Ch**y guys mostly) who have made their own shield out of aluminum and on both sides put a bit of heat proofing material. It should be an easy fix. It sounds to me that you have heat soak also, not vapor lock. Vapor lock tends to show itself while driving as well.

#6 ·

You may want to run larger cables to and from the battery. The larger the cables, the more juice the cables will carry. If your engine is turning over slowly, less power goes to the ignition system, your engine will not fire.

Keep in mind the large size of the 460 (not in CI, but in how big your engine is) inside the engine compartment. The engine will hold a lot of heat after shut down and radiate the heat to the starter.

Check all of your grounds and connections. Grease and dirt transfered from your hands may interfere with the power to and from the starter.

#8 ·

My Galaxie does that too. On mine it's a heat soak situation with the starter since I've got 3 inch pipe right in that area. I'm gonna put a nippondenso style PMGR starter on mine which will solve it. Also I'd upgrade the wire from the battery -> solenoid ->s starter & also run a comparable sized ground. Go with 4 gauge wire with a good strand count & use good ends. If you've got a local starter & alternator place close by most of them stock stuff to make cables. If your battery is in the trunk then go with an even large wire such as 2 gauge or even 1/0 gauge.

#9 ·

remember that once the engine is warm the clearances tighen up - crank, pistons, rods, cam, valves, everything.

When you let the engine get hot, if the starter is already barely getting the engine to turn over, adding that resistance because clearances have shrunk makes it that much harder to turn over - which, coupled with the heat soak, could be putting your starter over the line.

You might try another starter, just for kicks.

#10 ·

Had the same problem with my 429 thunderjet in the summer time(installed in my 1982 pickup).I was able to cure it by getting a big powerful battery (1000CCA) and using the heaviest gauge cables I could find.

#11 ·

i'm going to try to put another ground wire in there and see what happens. i already got a 1000ca battery with 1 guage cables.

i don't wanna have to try another starter if i don't have to. however i did order a heat shield from peps boy and i'll come sometime on wednesday

wish me luck. today was successful putting on the new 870 carb.

#13 ·

how would that fix anything when its now closer to the header tubes.

i really think the starter has had it with heat soaks. cuz it haves to cool over night to start up now.

when i get my new starter shield tomorrow, i'll pick up the new starter as well i guess

#14 ·

well i got screwed with the heat shield but i came across heatshield type material but in tape form.

i got a new starter from Pep Boys (lifetime warranty for 32 dollars for military discount). the thing will start up now even when hot.

problem solve with a new starter/heat thermo tape, along with a big fatty block to frame ground.

#17 ·

i now have anothe conclusion. well now that i got a new starter and heat shield tape on there. well when its cold, it'll start up like a champ. well when its hot, it will crank but cranks super super super low. sometimes not fast enough to start the motor. i have to get lucky for it to turn fast enough fori t to start?

still think i'm getting heat soaked? the timing isn't super advanced or anything.

any ideas?

#19 ·

I am having the exact same problem with my 68' T-Bird which has a 429. It does not matter if you drive it for 15 minutes or 5 hours. once it heats up it will not start again until cool. I have changed the starter, I have changed the relay, I have added a second heat sheild, I have changed the cable to 1 guage and covered it with insullation. It still gets hot and will not restart until cool! The only thing listed here that I have not tried is a stronger battery.

#20 ·

I am having the exact same problem with my 68' T-Bird which has a 429. It does not matter if you drive it for 15 minutes or 5 hours. once it heats up it will not start again until cool. I have changed the starter, I have changed the relay, I have added a second heat sheild, I have changed the cable to 1 guage and covered it with insullation. It still gets hot and will not restart until cool! The only thing listed here that I have not tried is a stronger battery and the heat tape. Where can you get it.

#21 ·
#22 ·

well i'm on my second oem starter and this time i wrapped her up in some heat resistant tape (same material as heatshield). i doubled wraped her all over. i just didn't tape up the back side of it. when i first got it, it would start up perfectly even when hot, only on the first day. well on the next day, if its hot, it will crank now but sometimes it ain't fast enough to start the motor and sometimes won't crank at all. if i were to let her cool down, it'll fire up like theres no tomorrow.

i've always got all new fatty battery cables and a nice fat ground wife from block to chassis. 1000ca battery, and all the works.

my dad is thinking since i didn't hot adjust the valves, hes thinking that i need to hot adjust them. he says maybe they are too tight and when it gets hot its even tighter so the starter ain't strong enough to turn her. so i'm also going to try to readjust the valves.

oh yea, i'm only running 9.4 cr and i'm able to run 87 gas.

#23 ·

Your problem is the soleniod on the starter. Chevy< Dodge, and any Fords with that type of starter with the soleniod on the starter has this problem. Bad thing about heat shielding is it's works both ways. Keeps heat out but also keeps it in. Just spend the extra money and get a HiTorque mini starter. They're built for the heat and will turn over anything. "Do It Right, or get ready to do it again". US Navy. "It's not just a job, It's an adverture".

#24 ·

the starter is a 78 model and it doesn't have a solenoid. but i'm just kind of weary having to buy something else again.

but there is a a 460 starter mini hi torque on ebay for 75, that does have a solenoid.

i always thought i should get a hi torque without a solenoise but most of them do.

#25 ·

The best bet for a lasting, good strong starter is one like I posted in the Ebay link. They're a Nippondenso motor/gear reduction piece similar to what's on Dodge diesels & a lot of foreign stuff. They never wear out, the only things that ever go wrong with them are the contacts in the solenoid behind the plate. I went from a mistubishi starter to a nippondenso on my F250 & now I don't even have to cycle the glow plugs to get her to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.