Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

My Comet Project

26K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  joemd 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been working on my Comet for a over a year now. I was hoping that I would have it completed before the 2007 Power Tour, but that didn't happen. So now I hope to have it complete for the 2008 Power Tour (knock on wood). Here's some pics showing most of what I have done thus far, from the car when I first purchased it, through dismantling, media blasting etc.. I have started her up, did some nice long burn outs in the paved alleyway, the T5 shifts very well (at least through 3rd, thats as far as I have shifted in the alley).
Here a link to engine start up.

Remix for gotyurback - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You have come a long way in one year. That's going to be one sweet ride.

#4 ·
Nice start, looks like you are on your way. You have come a long way with your project, I remember when you were sourcing your quarters. What power booster is that you are ruuning? Did you have to tweak you battery tray to fit that air system in it's place? Any considerations to relocating the battery to the trunk.
Ras Daniel :cool:

#5 ·
Well I am thinking maybe another four weeks of body work, then I am going to paint it Red with a Platinum Silver Roof (I think that would really draw out all the chrome side trim). The bumpers are re-chromed, all the trim pieces are done, the only things that I am lacking at the moment is carpet.

Just Jim: The Booster is a 7" Unit, and the Master cyclinder is for a 94 Mustang Cobra, I used the Granada Disc conversion along with the distribution block, since I added rear disc I bought an adjustable p/valve to add in (but have not added yet), but since the brakes seems to stop fine without any rear wheel lock-up, I am going to leave it as is for now.

Ras: I didn't use the original Comet Battery Tray, I used one for a 66 Mustang (just the flat tray, removed the bracket) which allowed me to angle it using one of the original mounting holes and drilling a new one. I don't think I will relocate it to the trunk, with the angle tray access to it is pretty easy.

#6 ·
Your doing a nice job and believe me it does take a lot of time and patience. What's this, do I see a "chevy" in your corral or are my eyes bad? Btw, my favorite comet is the 1965 and presently I am working on a 1971 comet gt. I'll post some pics. Keep up the good work.

james comet

#7 ·
James comet, the chevy is not mine, there are a couple of them (chevy's)out here but they belong to my buddies. I am the only Ford Man in my group of buddies, so you can imagine how much crap is thrown my way. LOL.

#11 ·
The Booster is a 7" Unit, and the Master cyclinder is for a 94-95 Mustang Cobra with the Granada distribution block, had to drill the brake peddle and use an adjustable push rod.

#16 ·
Got my seats mounted and wired today. They have a very nice feel to them. They are 6-way eletric adjustable seats out of a Mercury Cougar, so the kool thing about them is I am a little over 6'2" tall so the seats has a button to rise or lower the seats as needed.

Attachments

#17 ·
Got my console mocked up, fabricated, painted, and installed today. Also, cut-in the dash in with Cherry red. Here are a few pictures of before and after. Next I will install the instrument cluster and finish off the dash.

Attachments

#20 ·
hey, what did you do for your clutch set up? did you just use a stock mustang cable linkage or use a conversion kit? i'm not sure if i can use a stock cable set up in my fastback.

#21 ·
Actually, the cable that I use came off a late 90's Honda Accord, and I fabricated a bracket that I welded onto the stock clutch pedal. I will be working on the Comet this eveing, so I will take some pictures of the clutch pedal, so you can see what I did.

#22 ·
cool, because i was thinking of welding the quadrant to the pedal the same way. i was guessing that it would work just like the late 90's pedal.
its more fun when fabricating parts instead of spending alot of money for them!!!

#25 ·
Little more progress to show. I got the dash re-assembled, fabricated a cover for the engine that reads "Comet 347", got the quarter completly welded in.

Attachments

#26 ·
LOOKIN GOOD!!!!
I'm using a 92 5.0 main ecu harness and injector harness for my EFI conversion. haven't got around to the electrical yet, but was it difficult to get the juice to the brain to get the car running?
just curious to see how big of a task it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.