Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Child Car Seat for a '67 Mustang???

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  michaelg10 
#1 · (Edited)
What kind of child car seat has anyone found that works well with the lap belts in back seat of a '67 Mustang? It would be nice to be able to take my 3 year old with me in the Mustang sometimes, but I also want her to be safe.

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply.
I do have a coupe, but how do I install the top anchor in the package tray? Do I remove the package tray and secure an anchor bolt in the frame where the speaker cut-outs are?

#4 ·
That's what I did. I drilled a hole in the package tray, installed a hook. Top of the LATCH system goes there. That's for later though. At this point, she is only 10 months so she's still in the other seat. I installed some brackets under the rear seat at the factory seat belt anchors in order to use the LATCH system there as well. Works perfectly. Safer then my daughter's mother's Saturn, that's for damn sure!

#5 ·
That's what I did. I drilled a hole in the package tray, installed a hook. Top of the LATCH system goes there. That's for later though. At this point, she is only 10 months so she's still in the other seat. I installed some brackets under the rear seat at the factory seat belt anchors in order to use the LATCH system there as well. Works perfectly. Safer then my daughter's mother's Saturn, that's for damn sure!
Where did you get the hooks you mounted at the seat belt anchors and package tray for the LATCH system to clamp to?
Thanks!

#7 ·
I should have taken pictures when I did it. I just built the hooks. Just some angle iron, round bar, and a friend that welds. I worked at a Kia dealer a year or so ago and there was a recall on the LATCH anchors. I got real familiar with the design from replacing them so I emulated the replacement parts that I was putting it. When I take the car apart next time, for paint or what ever, I'll get some pics. Hell, enough interest, I'll offer a kit. ;) I bought the Custom specifically to drive my little girl around in. Figured if I HAD to buy a car, might as well have some style and be able to drive through anything else on the road. She loves it! :D

#8 ·
I was thinking about doing the same thing, one of the ideas I am tossing is either finding, or going to a junk yard and taking the latch hoops out of a car and welding/screwing into the floor of the Mustang.

For the top strap, instead of screwing into the package tray, I was going to run/fish that long top strap behind the seat and down to a bolt in the floor pan?

Does that sound hokey, seems like a better or stronger point?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.