Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

saving another '65 falcon 2 dr wagon!

55K views 108 replies 14 participants last post by  gtaroger 
#1 ·
I got a great deal on a '65 falcon 2 dr wagon.....am very familiar with how rare these are as this is my 2nd wagon that I own to date.....anyway got this one for $800 from a guy about 2 hrs from me in Florida....it is an original v8 a/c Florida car......it has the original a/c and rearend on it but lacked the engine/tranny unfortunately....anyway i got the car without a title so I took a chance....I got her home and in the garage....immediately did a dmv search and found that the vehicle was last titled in 1991! I did some more research and found the 2nd owner's wife who the title was still under....she was very helpful and remembered the old wagon....they had it from 1973-1991....anyway sad story but her husband just passed in July 2009 so she helped me apply for a duplicate title...even gave the car to me as a gift so I didn't get nailed with sales tax...long story short she wants to see the car go back to original the way she and her daughter remember it...I promised her that I would over time fix it back to original, keep in contact with her, and come back to visit again when it was done...here are some pics for everyone to enjoy of the fun stuff......RESTO!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Sweet! I like the copper color too. Looks like it was repainted at some time. I think the original harvest gold or whatever it was called was a little lighter. The newer Rangers used a copper similar to that that would look nice, or add metal flake and/or pearl to it ala Copperhead and have a paint that really pops, and yet is relatively close to original. Either way, looks like a good start!

#8 · (Edited)
Yeah Decurion,

the original color is that prairie bronze which is similar to copper....the 2nd owner's wife told me that was the color her husband repainted it when they had it all of those years....so yeah it is original....this baby is going to stay original because it is an original v8 a/c florida car....I can guarantee you that when I take it to the car shows no one will have any 2 dr wagons like her there

#10 ·
I think it was mexicaned out! thank god they didn't mess with the electrical....even though it needs bodywork it isn't to a point where it is just a parts car.....normally I would part it out but because of the rarity of the wagon along with it being a verifiable original v8 that isn't an option.....she will just rest in the garage out of the elements until the time comes for her to be restored!

#38 ·
I think it was mexicaned out! thank god they didn't mess with the electrical....
Dont be a d!ck.
No white folks ever painted a dash green...
No black folks ever modified a car...
No asians ever hot-rodded with distaste...

Im sure there are some latino folks here that dont appreciate your ignorant humor.
This is a technical forum. Not a forum for your prejudices or stereotypes.
Like I said...dont be a d!ck.

JD

#11 ·
I got an early present this am by the front door.....Fed ex dropped off my stock '65 steering wheel and shift lever....the steering wheel needs to be restored but at least I can mount the right steering wheel on there now...it has the normal cracks that are associated with wheels of this age and is red.....2 less parts to get for the wagon....yippppeeeee!

#13 ·
I had to step away from the project due to lack of funds and time! Amazing how that happens but oh well! Anyway getting back to the roof situation on the car I think I might just cut off the roof skin and leave the ribs in place until I get a replacement roof....therefore I look at this way I am saving money on the bodyshop not having to cut off the skin only the structure at the posts....anything structural with the car I want the bodyshop to handle especially when you are cutting the roof off at the posts

#14 ·
I also wanted to give you all an update on a future project that I am looking into doing.....my a/c needs to be restored professionally and I got a quote of $500 from classicautoair here in Tampa,FL....they said it would take about 4-6 weeks to get done especially during the cooler months...as you can see judging from this interior that a/c will need a fixing!

Attachments

#15 ·
Today I took out the side sun x windows....these are extremely rare and needed to be handled with ease...I was careful when I removed them and didn't break them....started to tackle the roof skin....since I am replacing the entire roof I figured start with the roof skin first....got about half way done until I ran out of 1/4" discs off of the dewalt grinder....neighbors must have loved me with all of the racket and bondo dust pouring out...thank god for respirators!....hoping to finish it tomorrow but the bad news is that the inner structure is definetly toast....the ribs are in good shape and I will save them along with some of the roof skin for extra metal....have to admit I was nervous about this project since I have never cut a roof skin off but there wasn't any warpage....will get some pics soon!

Attachments

#16 ·
today I wrapped up cutting off the rest of the roof skin....managed to save two good sheets of metal that I can reuse for other things....only cost me $8 for four grinding discs.....the great thing is that even though the inner structure is rotted out it still is stable

#17 ·
out looking for a new roof replacement but in no hurry as the car is in the garage out of the elements....have found some possibilities but out in California, Canada, Texas and I live in Florida...I have two possibilities in removing the inner structure along with the ribs

1. remove all the spot welds and remove the top part of the inner structure leaving the posts in place which would make less measuring and less mistakes or
2. cutting it half way down the posts and measuring everything fifty million times and weld in once

#18 ·
I have been going through the two possibilities in my mind and have decided that it would be just easier to cut the old roof half way at the posts, do all the critical measurements, and weld at the posts on the new roof where they come together....have gotten some quotes of $750 and $300 for just the roof and unfortunately looking at doing some long traveling....but you know what when she is finished it will be worth it

#19 ·
I found another boneyard that might have a replacement roof....discovered it off of                             LOVEfords - Ford Mercury Edsel Lincoln Articles, Data, Pictures, and Information in one of the forums....the place is called Baughman's Auto parts up in York,PA 717-846-3944....supposedly from the pics posted on that site there are 3 yards full of 30's cars/trucks/wagons all the way up to the 60's and more....he might have a replacement roof for me and is willing to cut it at the posts for $200 out the door....of course I would need to do the road trip from FL to PA and remove the glass...he is going to give me a call back tomorrow if they have something that isn't rotted out..he did mention that the stuff needs to go or it will be in auto heaven soon because of the rust

#20 ·
Today was cowl removal day......took me about 4 hrs to take out all of the spot welds and definetly learned about patience tackling this puppy! Anyway the outer edges were rotted out around the hats and of course tons of leaves in my way....whoever owned the vehicle before me in the past sprayed some white silicon/rubber sealant up into the hats...it was caked on the bottom of the upper cowl when I removed it....was actually about 2 inches thick....now just need to clean it up and find some replacement outer edge cowl metal

#21 ·
I discovered that there are no vendors out there that make falcon cowl patch panels....Why just boggles my mind? Anyway I am going to have either form in some fabbed sheetmetal and put in new hats or find a good donor/replacement from a parts car......also will have to find a driver's side fender apron as that is rotted out on the top

#22 ·
Today I ended up taking out the emergency brake assembly.....prior owners were harsh on it and the wire broke plus it was spray painted that awful green dash color....contacted Unique Ford salvage here in Orlando and Donnie will get back with me to see if there are any good cowl repair patches and aprons from his parts cars

#23 ·
I talked to someone who knew someone who knew someone and ended up finding a replacement roof.....the guy lives in TX and has a '64 wagon parts car....he has all the metal replacement parts that I need like the cowl, quarters, torque boxes....anyway he is going to put together a package deal for me and I will probably have it freighted here in the next 6 months....anyway back to the roof it is rust free and won't have the posts just the top inner structure/rib section with the roof skin...he is going to shoot some pics over in the next week and we'll go from there

#24 · (Edited)
strolled on by the bodyshop again to see the progress on my other '65 falcon car....unfortunately not much new just some more dust on her....I have been a thorn in the owner's side to get him moving on this.....basically he is bouncing back and forth between my project and a '68 dodge dart...again the only thing done considerably has been the patch of the sunroof hole (can't even see it now)

#25 ·
wanted to give you all an update since I haven't posted in awhile: anyway my main focus right now is getting the body back in shape....I tracked down someone who is going to cut out a good upper/lower cowl and will cut it out including the side apron cowl and door hinge....since I plan on replacing the rotted out cowl hats and damage on the driver's side this works out perfectly....the guy's name is Brian and he is out in CA....pros are getting rust free sheet metal to replace the rot but the con is the shipping charge...oh well gotta get r done! Here are some pics of the real bad metal that needs replacing on the driver's side

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.