Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum - View Single Post - Serious Inquiries Only
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Mikelonis
Super Moderator

Serious Inquiries Only

Finally, I get it. After seeing "Serious Inquiries Only" used in auto classifieds for as long as I can remember, I always knew what the phrase meant, but now that I've lived it, I can really say... "I get it".

For the past few months I had my '78 F250 up for sale locally on Craig's List while in search of a '72-'79 Ranchero to replace the 4WD. I've sold a few classics on Ebay, but I usually save auctioning for vehicles that have a narrow market appeal. Markets that demand the wide reach of the online powerhouse. Besides, if you're lucky, Craig's List can yield a quick sale and you don't have to deal with fees, cashiers checks, shipping arrangements, tracking numbers, buyer's feedback scores, etc.

Those of you who have been following may have seen the number of articles I documented here on FM with my '78 F250. If so, you know it's a solid truck with plenty of sensible upgrades. While all of us know that our project vehicles are not worth the sum of the parts, we do expect tasteful mods to help the sale along... like granite countertops instead of tile. We also expect that when selling a 30 year old vehicle, that the pool of possible buyers do have an idea of what they are getting in to. Not with trucks, at least not judging by my recent experiences.

During the 2 months I had my truck on Craig's List locally, I fielded more half-hearted inquiries and "showings" than I could handle. So many that fees, cashiers checks, shipping arrangements, tracking numbers, and buyer's feedback scores, all became worthwhile. Next week I take delivery on a 1979 Ranchero and say good-bye to a great truck which I auctioned on Ebay to a good home near Buffalo, NY. Certainly, there are a few of you who have had bum experiences with Ebay, for me however, the transactional nature and community aspect of it has worked perfectly four times. Four times I never had to write "Serious Inquiries Only" in the vehicle description.

Arriving: 1979 Ranchero Brougham

Departing: 1978 F250 4WD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	3791
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	12494  

Last edited by Mikelonis; 05-06-2010 at 10:26 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome