Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Really confused on shifter linkage.

15K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  gregaust 
#1 · (Edited)
I brought my C4 back from a shop about a month ago. Shifter linkage is not something I paid much attention on.

To be honest I never hooked up the linkage on my C4 in the past. My father did (he passed away last year).

I am thinking the shop put the wrong linkage on? I am uploading a picture of my cable, and the transmission. I also am uploading a picture of a spare case I have and the linkage is extremely different. The linkage on the transmission will rotate to the right until the hole is all the way at the bottom.

Also note, it looks like a metal lever is broken on my rebuilt unit.

Any guidance that can be given would be greatly appreciated. Should I change levers? I don't even see how I could hook up my cable with the linkage on the transmission????

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
In that 3rd pic the linkage is fitted 180 degrees out, it should face down. Then the cable mount will mount to the two lower servo bolts

That piece that is cut off on the outside is the kickdown.

You might need to cut that piece off the bottom to allow the bolt on linkage to go round whee it needs to be .

I take it you're using a ratchet shifter ?

#3 ·
It is a ratchet shifter.

The lever in the third photo will loosely rotate to the right until it is facing straight up. As you see it in the photo: if I push it further, in the direction my finger is pointing I can feel the gear change up, but I have to rotate all the way back around for it to "shift" the other direction. I don't know if it should move that much?

Did the shop install it wrong? You are referring to the large cut off lever to the left? If you think cutting the metal tab off will work I could, but if you think I should try to have the shop fix it I will. I did find this B&M instruction, and it does look like it should be cut off more. Any ideas on what the metal tab on the top was? Should I remove it?

I have rebuild a couple of transmissions, but duplicated what I seen on the linkage. I didn't have time to mess with this one. Figures something came back wrong! I am just a bit concerned now.

Thanks Greg.

Attachments

#4 ·
On the diagram, where it says remove shaded portion of lever, how do you go about removing that part? I have a c4 that I've got to do the same thing as well on. As for the kick down, I have the Lokar AOD TV cable which is similar, the mounting bracket for the TV cable might have to be finessed, but it should work right?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Yes the shaded part needs to be cut off with a thin cutting wheel .

The B&M diagram is correct . That lever has been fitted wrong.
Where it needs to sit is with the trans in "N", it goes slightly forward of vertical. What needs to happen is the lever moves in a nice equal arc.

Also the lever needs to slide on just enough that it clamps up correctly. If you slide it right on the inner part of the selector shaft has a groove and the lever won't clamp tight

#9 ·
The transmission I was using originally was an AOD that came with the shift lever pointed up, to use my b&m pro stick, I had to remove the upward pointing shift lever and rotate it 180 degrees so it was pointed downward. Since I've decided to scrap the AOD, do I still need to rotate the C4 shift lever 180 degrees before I cut off the part of the lever and clamp on the b&m lever?

#6 ·
Does the valve body need to come out for that correction, vs cutting the tab?

I will take it back to them. Hopefully they can figure it out correctly and don't give me much grief.

Unfortunately, I can't really envision what you are saying.

STEP 14.
Install the
B&M
selector lever
(See Figure #4 or #5)
. Note: The
B&M
lever must point downward for proper
operation. If the stock shift lever on your
transmission points down, you will have
to remove the lower part of the stock arm
by cutting it off to clear the
B&M
lever
(See
Figure #4)
. Install the
B&M
selector lever
onto the shift shaft of the transmission.
Align the selector lever so that when it
supplied with the shifter into the swivel
and spread the key end

#11 ·
On "stock" transmission/shifter applications an "up" lever is for a floor ( or console) application and a "down" lever is for columb applications. This is unless the factory floor shifter uses a cable , then it has a down lever.. "Most" aftermarket shifters are cable operated and require a down lever.

#12 ·
Yes the shifter I'm using is a b&m pro stick. So just so I'm sure, do I have to the rotate linkage 180 degrees to the down position before I cut off the excess arm material to make room for the b&m arm? It's currently pointing up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.