Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum - View Single Post - My experience with an evaporative emissions retrofit
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Yadkin

Garage
My experience with an evaporative emissions retrofit

As you know, a lot of emissions from these old cars was simply from the gas tank venting vapors out through the fuel cap. I have a basement garage, and these emissions were more than just a nuisance, so I retrofitted a system into my '64 TBird.

Here's the start of the system. I have a Tanks, Inc. in-tank electric fuel pump for my EFI conversion. This system has a 4" circular cover bolted on top of the tank that holds the fuel pump bracket, and this is accessed through a hole that I cut into the trunk shelf. (I no longer can carry a spare tire there.) The cover has three openings plus electrical connections; the braided hoses are my supply and return, and the rubber hose is for my vent.

Spectre makes two tanks for these vehicles. One has an OEM type vent at the top, and the other does not. When I did the EFI conversion I chose the ventless model. The OEM vent is tiny, about 1/8" diameter or so. I don't see that it couldn't be used for vapor recovery but I can't attest to its effectiveness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170922_104330960_HDR.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	142082  

1964 Thunderbird 390 V8, AOD, F.A.S.T. EZ EFI 1.0, Victor intake, MSD Ignition.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome