Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Hard starting after shutdown

864 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jerrym3 
#1 ·
I have a 64 Galaxie 500 XL that has a 390 with tri power. Starts with no problems initially, won't start after shutting off and running into a store and coming out in like 10 mins. Cranks fine but a strong fuel odor.

#3 ·
try holding throttle wide open next time it happens...
fuel level might be a little high in float bowl
when hot causing some fuel dribbling into manifold...
causing a flooding issue..

#6 ·
It does, however it also opens all the throttle blades allowing significantly more air into the engine to clear the flood.

If you're running gas (even premium) that contains 10 to 15% ethanol it's likely boiling gas out of the carbs due to the heat soak on shutdown. The 4 barrel on my 67 fairlane 390 is the same way. On a hot restart I hold the gas down 3/4 to wide open while cranking and it lights right off.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

#7 ·
My 64 390/4v had the same hot starting problem. It wouldn't start without a long crank, and then sometimes pop through the carb. Got so bad that I'd wait at car shows to be one of the last to leave so other folks wouldn't hear my backfire.

Put on a new Holley. Much better, but on real hot days, it's still a little touchy when restarting.

Sometimes, it will start just by turning the key. Other times, I need to give it just a little pump on the pedal and then turn the key.

I can live with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.