Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum - View Single Post - Low rpm 390 stroker advice
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Yadkin

Garage
Re: Low rpm 390 stroker advice

I went through this with mine three years ago, similar goals. My car is also 4400# and I have 3.00 gears.

I went with an RV type hydraulic roller cam, PQ adjustable rocker set and custom length push rods. I went through several sets of lifters before finding one that worked- Lunati Voodoo. The roller gives faster valve lift so more area under the curve; basically turning a 390 into a much larger net displacement.

Compression is 9.7:1 and I use 93 octane pump gas with no problems whatsoever.

Follow Rabotnik's advice on oiling modifications. He says use 0.060 - 0.090" restrictors to the heads. Go on the low side.

I went with a FAST throttle body fuel injection setup which necessitated the single plane intake, so keep that in mind if that is on your future wish list.

I have Sanderson headers- the only brand I found that would fit my unibody car with the fat spring towers. With your full frame car you have more options. I also have 2.5" dual exhaust, H pipe, and Borla mufflers. I had Magnaflos but they droned at speed so I changed them out. I also have Hushpower glasspack style in the rear acting as resonators. The car is quiet at idle but roars when you push the throttle.

The car isn't a rocket ship with the 3.00 gear but it is still very quick off the line. My ass-dyno tells me I'm at about 50HP over the stock 300.

My most recent mod was an AOD. At 70MPH the RPMs drop from 2700 down to 1800 and I have plenty of torque to climb moderate hills without downshifting. On two lanes I can tool around at 1400 RPM which is great fun.

1964 Thunderbird 390 V8, AOD, F.A.S.T. EZ EFI 1.0, Victor intake, MSD Ignition.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome