Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum - View Single Post - C4 flares slips going into 3rd and air check questions
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
DanaW

Re: C4 flares slips going into 3rd and air check questions

Thanks Greg and GT350 for your replies.

As far as some history, the trans is stock and should be unmolested. The car has only 56k miles on it. My Dad bought the car in '66, in '75 he sold it to my Grandpa, who gave it back to him around the early 2000's. He took it to a Ford dealer for service. I believe they drained and replaced the fluid along with the filter. I think they used Mercron, I know they over filled it.

When I changed the fluid and filter, the fluid in there was still red and did not smell burnt. There was some black residue in the bottom of the pan, but not overly thick. I was able to wipe it clean with a rag, didn't need brake cleaner.

I had applied pressure to the intermediate servo release first, nothing major happened, it was already open. Then I applied it to the apply side and had fluid spray out the release hole. Freaked me out. Tried again and more came out and I chickened out and quit testing it because it seemed like I was just going to continually spray myself. Maybe I should recheck it.

The intermediate adjuster was originally set to one turn out. I loosened it to 1.5 turns out. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

The car does sit a lot, not many miles per year.

Thanks again for your help!
Dana

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome