Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum - View Single Post - ISO 393w crankshaft with 2.5" rod journals?
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:39 AM
n2omike

Re: ISO 393w crankshaft with 2.5" rod journals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29EssexRat View Post
Absolutely, I ran the numbers before purchasing anything. Using (used) DSS 8723W-4000 393w pistons. Deck Clearance calculator comes out with 0.023" of piston recession. They're a 13cc dish piston. 60cc heads, and with a .047" compressed thickness gasket comes out to a 10:1 compression ratio. I have not purchased the head gasket yet, and will measure piston depth before I do. Wanting to keep the compression right at or slightly above 10:1 so I can still run 91. I do understand that timing/cam selection/dynamic compression plays a much larger role in detonation, but 10:1, and the new Comp Cams XE268H camshaft I have laying around collecting dust will make a pretty stout budget motor.
With the 268, it will have tons of low end power... and going in a heavy Galaxie with a tall gear, it could be exactly what you need! Compression might be a tad on the high side. Probably wouldn't hurt to polish the sharp edges off the pistons and combustion chamber.

Good Luck

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome