Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Header help on a 69 Torino 351w, AFR 185's & FMX

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  1969torino 
#1 ·
I'm having a hell of a time finding a set of headers that will work with my setup. I've got a 1969 formal roof Torino with a 351w, FMX tranny and it will have AFR 185cc heads. I'm moving the shifter from the column to the floor and It has power steering (I'll be removing the A/C). I get a different answer from every tech number I call. I've contacted Summit, Jegs, Headman, Hooker and AFR. Summit says the Headman 88300 will work but Headman says they don't make a Header that will work with my setup (won't fit the heads). Summit says the Hooker 6116 will work Jegs says it won't and Hooker says it might. AFR says everything that will bolt to a stock 351w head will work with the 185 so I'm not sure who to believe.

Does anybody have experience with putting headers on a 351w with an FMX tranny in a 69 Torino????

Thanks for any help you can give.

jp

#7 ·
george at accufab is a great guy and may be able to help you as well. something like mid length headers may be just the ticket for your application

#8 ·
Do you absolutely have to have long tubes? A nice cheap set of shorty headers may be the way to go, and the cheapest set you can get is the factory shortys off of a 5.0 Mustang from the late 80's. The long tube headers on my 68' torino required me to remove my power steering, but otherwise fit great. I wish i knew what brand they were....

#9 ·
I've got FPA's in my '69 Falcon wagon. I'm using the AFR 225 heads, which have a different exhaust port - and they were able to hook me up.

They have a good price on their coating, but my coating is NOT holding up all that well. I would suggest you get them NOT coated, test fit, modify as needed (you almost always need to hammer a tube somewhere, to get a good fit!), then have them coated locally.

Lee

#11 ·
With coating, I paid somewhere around $750. I believe they are about 200 cheaper w/o coating - check their website for latest pricing.

Overall, I rate them as better than average. The fit/finish is well better than what I've seen on the typical Hooker/Heddman/Blackjack type headers. Similar to Doug's (back when Doug actually made them). I recently used a set of Stainless Works on a Pontiac, about the same price but WAAAAAAAY better quality/construction - but SW doesn't make anything for our cars, so....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.