Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

410 Windsor with AFR 205's

36K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Cain 
#1 · (Edited)
I decided to get some dyno numbers on my engine before it went back in the car after the "unplanned maintenance." The intake manifold and the heads had a bit of a port mismatch, which was corrected by milling the intake .080"
Unfortunately my dyno pulls were made before the intake manifold was milled and I didn't get any pulls after it was fixed.

410 Windsor
AFR 205's
SRP pistons 11.4 to 1
SCAT H beam rods
SCAT crank (internally balanced)

Solid roller Grind# FW 4293S/1477 SR110.0
Valve adjustment .020 intake/ .015 exhaust
Lift .641/.649
Duration @.020 291/288
Valve timing @.050
Int. 22 BTDC close @ 56 ABDC
EXH. 61 BBDC close 15 ATDC
107 intake c/l
110 lobe sep.
Duration @ .050 258/256
Lobe lift is .401/.406

Jesel Sportsman 1.6 rockers
Manton Series 5 pushrods
Super Victor out of the box (Has been milled and ported since the dyno pulls)
Holley HP 950 prepped by Bigs Performance
FPA headers 1 3/4" tubes

Sorry about the poor quality of the dyno sheet.
Peak horsepower was 626.5 at 6300 rpm and peak torque was 567.9 at 5100rpm.

See less See more
#2 ·
Cain, I got the dyno sheet. Thank you! I may have a zillion questions for you now though.

The biggest difference between our motors is I am running ported C9s I know
they are no where close to the AFR 205s but I didn't want to have my 17 year old son going to fast with out a roll cage. We have one in the car now though.

Thanks

#5 ·
Nice numbers, now you said this was before the port correction? Either way nice numbers. I was building a 418w with sim specs, afr 205s, eagle internals int. bal, je pistons 11.1, didnt decide on cam yet, was about $6000 into it, nearing completion and an emergency came up, sold for $3000 :( Hope my setup was put to good use.

But oh well thats life

#7 ·
Yes, these numbers are before the intake manifold was milled and ported. My machinist thinks I might have gained around 20 horsepower with the intake work. It's hard to say exactly what was gained by the intake work. I wish I'd have snapped a photo of the port mismatch so you all could see just how bad it was.

In case anyone was wondering the engine made it's best power with 36 degrees total advance.

#12 ·
The block is a regular run of the mill Ford block. I've never checked the casting numbers, but I think it's a mid 70's block. I can look at the casting numbers if you really care. This engine was originally built in a 69 block, but that one broke in a flywheel explosion a few years years ago. I transferred the guts into the current block and had it machined for zero deck. If I'd have known it was going to make as much power as it did, I'd have probably done a half fill on it, but it's a little late for that now. Typical Ford.....runs better than expected. I'm using factory two bolt caps with ARP studs and no main girdle. Chances are probably pretty good that I'll break this block. Probably won't last too long when I turn on the bottle. Hopefully it will live for a while. When it breaks I'll either get a Dart block or step up to a 385 series big block. :cool:

#13 ·
wow no girdle with nitrous in the works with that much power wow, let us know how many passes it lasts, im interested in knowing lol

#17 · (Edited)
I know this thread is quite old but I thought I would ask anyway.
I'm building a 408 very very close to this guys 410. I only hope it will make 625 hp. I would be thrilled. It's going in my sons first racecar. (He has driven many others before)

The combo is
Stock Roller Block Half Filled
408 Windsor 4.03 x 4 flat top
AFR 205's 58cc chamber
Quick Fuel HP 950
Super Victor out of the box
SRP pistons 12.5 to 1 SCAT H beam rods
SCAT crank (externally/balanced)
ARP Head Studs
Canton Oil Pan
Canton Main Girdle (beautiful piece and no mods to caps)
Canton Windage Tray
I'm setup for oiling mods(everything is taped) but I don't know yet weather I will restrict or not. I ceratinly don't think is a necesasaity on this block. I will block the four valley center drainbacks

Comp Cams Solid roller Grind# FW 4045 / 4049 SR108.0
Valve adjustment .026 intake/ .026 exhaust
Lift .672/.672
Duration @.020 308/316
Valve timing @.050
Int. 27 BTDC close @ 63 ABDC
EXH. 67 BBDC close 31 ATDC
108 intake c/l
108 lobe sep.
Duration @ .050 270/278
Lobe lift is .421/.421
Scorpion Roller Rockers 1.6
Dynotech 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 headers 3" collector(still not sure about this header)
1.76 low Powerglide to a 4.86 gear

87 Mustang

My question was did anyone ever hear from Cain again? I wonder how his combination turned out?

#18 ·
I think he went so fast that he entered the 8th dimension with Ellen Barkin and never returned. So fast that John BigBoote even quit chasing him. :D

Almost 200 more HP than I have!...hope you got really good insurance!

I gotta get me one of those!

#22 ·
My local tracks are 1/8th mile. Back when I was running the toploader it would usually go 6.8x at 100-101 if it wasn't 100 degrees out. I usually ran around 7.0 when it was real hot out.
I did squeeze a couple 6.7x's out of it at a little over 102 when it cooled off in the fall. Since then I've put in a Jerico which I'm hoping will shave off a little ET. I've found a couple mechanical problems on the car since the Jerico install which should help as well. I didn't get to the track at all last year, but this year should be a different story. Gas milage is really ****ty so I usually only race at the two tracks close to me. I'm excited to run on the bottle this year with the Jerico. I'm hoping to weigh the car this year as well. I'm guessing it to be around 3500 with me in it.

687 - YouTube

#24 ·
I'm looking to do a 408w .060 over ,11.5:1,vicjr int.,t-5,3.73,750 dp and i will drive it up to 200mi a week and want to go on vacations with it looking to get 14mpgs if possible but i love the fast reving solid roller do you have any cam sugistions my heads right now are ported e7 would like to save for afrs

#25 ·
You ever put it on a chassis dyno?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using AutoGuide.com App

#30 ·
Nice job Das Jager. Looks like your car is running pretty strong with the new heads. I am inclined to agree with you. If I build another one it will not have AFR heads on it. It will likely be a 4.125 bore Dart block with a set of TEA highports on it.

TFS Highport | :: Total Engine Airflow ::

I'll have to blow the current engine up before that build happens though :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.