Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Compression Ratio question

5K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  jabkoV8 
#1 ·
Hi All , I'm from europe and I have '88 GT coupé 5.0 HO T5 and prepare it to drag racing. No large and expensive mods. Car is stock rigt now. I buy 8.8" 4.10 FRPP ring and pinion , GT40 heads and GT40 intake. My idea is "Low-cost lightweight small block car" with time around 11 to 12 seconds. And major question is - how much high compression ratio engine withstand without troubles ??? Mainly pistons , rods and crank. I would like to 11.0:1 compression ratio with stock short block and lightly ported GT40 heads. I have s special high octane racing fuel for high CR.

Thanks for advice and opinions.

#2 ·
Welcome, jabko. Compression will not hurt the engine if you are using good fuel. However, your engine and new heads with 11:1 pistons will still not make enough power to hit the 11-second range. That will take around 400 rear-wheel HP. You may want to consider keeping the stock short block as it is and using a power adder like N2O or boost to hit 11s with 400hp at far less cost.

David

#3 ·
Thank PSIG, 11 seconds is a bit of a dream, but maybe 12 is real. For me it is 300 +/- RWHP sufficient. There is no track with penetration, only the concrete and the biggest problem is traction.

I can not use Boost. I'm in class "Naturally aspirated V8". N2O is a good thing for me, but this system I have only for the carburetor and the big problem is filling of bottles.

#9 ·
That depends on what cam you're using, what crank, rods and pistons you are using, and what size rocker arms you're using.

You may not even need to deck the heads. Check them with a straight edge. Unless of course, you're trying to get a little more compression and you want to deck the heads.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#10 ·
Sorry , all is stock HO engine , crank , rods , pistons , cam , lifters , rockers.

I want only (I have only) GT40 heads "F3ZE" casting and GT40 intake with 65mm throttle body but I need higher compression than stock engine.

Maybe in the future I buy high lift rocker arms.

How much I can downground heads for high compression ??? 0.04" is maximum for "closed intake valve to deck clearance"

BTW: this GT40 heads have 68 ccm combustion chambers ???

#13 ·
I would look to get pistons for your compression. Milling the head will raise it a little, but not what you want at 11:1. Milling .040" to get maybe 5cc (from 65cc to 60cc) will only raise your compression 0.5 (about 9.5:1). You can't mill enough to get 10:1, so I would save the money for cutting the heads and wait for pistons.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.