Lots of updates! My fuel tank came in, along with my sump. Soooo...I welded that up. It turned out pretty decent if I do say so myself. The sump (universal) came from a company called SMR on eBay. I asked them if they could put the outlets on the sides of the sump instead of the rear (I hate rear outlets on a Mustang/Cougar...), and upsize them to 3/4" instead of 1/2", and they did both free of charge. Shipping was free, and fast, and it only cost like $35. I was pretty impressed to be honest. I also got my -12 push lok fuel line, Weldon 2025 pump and 2040 regulator, and ordered the majority of my fittings. Still need to pick up 5' or so of -10 line, and 25' or so of -8 for the EFI lines and the return line.
I'm also fully committed to the strut front end now as well...although I won't be using the typical lower control arm like a fox/SN95 car. It turns out, from my measurements and research that the rest of a fox/SN95 front end will fit like it was made for the car. As I mentioned before, I'll be using a factory SN95 (2000 Mustang GT) spindle and brakes, Strange 10 way single adjustable coilover struts with Qa1 14-175 springs, and Maximum Motorsports 4 bolt caster/camber plates. The lower control arm will be located at the factory pickup for a 68 Cougar, and a single arm with a strut locating bar like factory as well. It'll be an adjustable tubular stock car deal instead though, with a fabbed strut mount. The steering setup is a pinto/Mustang II rack...which so far has come with its own host of problems, lol. Read: bumpsteer. Not good when your rack pivot points are 22" wide, and your LCA pick up points are 19".
All in all I'm pleased with how it's going together though...other than how long it's taking. As soon as my spindles and caster/camber plates get here I'll be starting the mocking up in earnest. Should be interesting to say the least, since I have no baseline measurements for ride height, or anything else to go off of. I mean, the car WAS a shell when I got it, lol.
Anyhow, here's some pictures.
1970 Mustang/Cougar 22gal tank from Mustang's Unlimited. Not bad for $124 shipped, with a new pickup/sending unit.
The sump. Much nicer than the foxbody specific one I modified for the 67 Mustang last time.
All fit up for welding.
All welded. You'll notice I had to use flux core, since I was out of gas and don't have the first clue how to tig, lol. All I care about is that it held! I smeared it with JB weld before painting it just in case though, lol.
I also pulled the motor mounts completely. Still wasn't enough room to fit the headers, lol.
Then I pulled the steering (and everything else lol). STILL couldn't get the headers to fit. For the record, the steering assembly on these cars weighs 38lbs...and the upper control arms (with saddles), springs, spindles, rotors and calipers weigh another 122lbs (both sides of course).
Some of the parts I have on hand now. Man I like those Strange coilovers, lol. Weight comparison is 12lbs for the steering, and 102lbs for the coilover struts, spindles, rotors, and calipers. I was surprised that the difference wasn't greater...all of these parts feel very light.
Finally got the drivers side shock tower out (still needs ground down clean etc). The parts I removed weighed about 10lbs lol. And look!...I finally got a header on! The motor's still sitting about 3/4" higher than I'd like (about 1/4" below factory or so) though...which is ok, since I still intend to cut the motor mount bracket/support deal that the header's sitting on down at a curved angle.
Anyway...that's that so far. As I mentioned above, the hardest part of this is going to be getting the rack to work and clear my headers. I'll probably have to narrow it, which sucks...and won't help with the header clearance at all. But in the end...header clearance is a pretty distant second to bump steer when decelerating from the kind of trap speed this thing should be capable of...so it is what it is.