Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum - View Single Post - Thoughts on header wrap
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 03:59 PM
barnett468

Re: Thoughts on header wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
i;m running long tube headers on my 347 in a 62 f;lane. I didn't order them coated mainly because i knew we had to "re-arrange" a couple of tubes, 1- to clear steering rack, 2- to clear bellhousing, so i sprayed em with eastwoods hi-heat header paint. Other than protection from the elements i doubt the paint helps in lowering underhood temps, to any degree.,
which brings me to my question - does header wrap really help reduce underhood heat, enough to warrant using it?
My son used wrap on his subaru headers, which, by the way, were ungodly expensive (syms) & then sprayed the wrap with this - dei- hi-temp silicone coating, which supposedly seals & protects the wrap. The spray certainly dried into a tough, hard coating.
I ask because i think underhood heat is a major factor in hot start issues, if i wait 1/2 hr. She turns over & starts, no problem.
Thanks
hot start probs are typically, timing, too high of a float level, weak starter and/or insufficient cooling system.

The header wrap will reduce temps but it will not fix your probs. The lava wrap is popular and does not require sealer.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome