Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum - View Single Post - C4 won't shift into reverse or park suddenly
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
awiz88

Re: C4 won't shift into reverse or park suddenly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSIG View Post
Welcome to the Forums, Awiz88. I would first attempt to isolate the issue as either internal or external to the transmission, by crawling (safely) under and detaching the linkage at the trans shift lever/arm. If the trans can be placed into R or P manually at that point, you know it's external (linkage/shifter). If it won't, it's a trans issue, and the valve body and internal parking pawl linkage would be the next targets.

David
So today I did some checking. I first removed the shift plate and the shift handle to make sure nothing got wedged in there, which there wasn't. Next, jacked the car up and got underneath. I'm not exactly sure what I would be looking for, but I disconnected the linkage from the shifter itself, got up and put the shifter into park, and then got back underneath and reattached the linkage, which just barely fit back on. Got out, and now the transmission will shift from park, to R, to N, to D, but now just won't shift down into 1 or 2. It's like there is just something from just stopping it for the 1st 2 or last 2 gears. I took a few pics so maybe someone could tell me what to try next. One is of the linkage from the shifter to the transmission body itself ( just not sure what I'd be doing here lol), and the other is a linkage from the transmission to the steering column (again, not really sure what I am looking for here)

Any help or next steps would be appreciated!

Thanks Guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission 1.jpg
Views:	4195
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	97297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tranmssion 2.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	97305  

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome