Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum - View Single Post - 96 mustang 3.8 5 speed clutch cable problem
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
65FalconSix

Re: 96 mustang 3.8 5 speed clutch cable problem

I think the clutch fork was not aligning the bearing correctly on the pressure plate. Yesterday I replaced the new (BBK? or BKK?) clutch cable that failed (due to a collapsed sleeve near the firewall end) with the factory cable that was not damaged i removed previously. I left the adjuster on the firewall (dialed all the way in) and hooked it to the new billet quadrant. I got under the car and carefully centered the clutch forks and bearing on the pressure plate and installed the cable.

It felt right sitting on the ramps in the driveway. Pedal travel felt correct and clutch takeup started about 1-1/2 or 2 inches off floor and takeup felt right so I went for a ride. No problems backing off ramps in driveway. When I shifted from 1st to 2nd, there was a loud metallic sounding clunk once, but then everything seemed ok. I went around the block with no problems. Shifted 1-2-1 many times with no problems. synchros were smooth.

I drove past my house to go a little further and about a mile from my house when i slowed from 35 mph in 3rd, the clutch was super hard about halfway down it's travel and didn't seem to engage all the way and it started to grind when shifting.

I pulled over and gave the adjuster a few turns out and tried it again. The pedal was still VERY hard (hurt my foot through tennis shoes) and didnt engage the clutch all the way. Adjusting didn't make any noticeable difference in pedal feel, but I got it home...barely.

A clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, and flywheel were replaced 3 years and maybe 10K miles. No slipping once you are going.

I suspect these possibilities:
1. PIVOT STUD BENT causing misalignment of clutch fork pushing bearing at funny angle causing it to seize on the shaft. Not a normal wear part included in a clutch job.

2. Clutch fork retaining clip is failing and fork slips off pivot stud causing misalignment of clutch fork pushing bearing at funny angle causing it to seize on the shaft. Not a normal wear part included in a clutch job.

3. Release bearing and shaft were not properly lubricated at time of clutch job and bearing is seizing on shaft before depressing pressure plate all the way. giving some pedal travel and some plate engagement but not enough.

I'm tearing into it on Monday, tomorrow I have to fix a wheel bearing on my boat trailer. It looked like this when I got home from my last boat trip:
96 mustang 3.8 5 speed clutch cable problem-100_1814.jpg

I hope the axle is ok.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome