Why not replace battery acid ? - Page 2 - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Central West Virginia
Posts: 7,347
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchero351 View Post
but if it is at risk of blowing up i wont use it.
I don't know why it would blow up... Just out of curiosity, I'd have to try it.

What blows a battery up is hydrogen gas. All acids contain hydrogen atoms. When batteries get hot or overcharged, they can give off hydrogen. If there's a spark, it can get ignited. This goes for about any battery. I don't know why your overhauled battery would be at any extra risk.

Good Luck!
n2omike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 126
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
I don't know why it would blow up... Just out of curiosity, I'd have to try it.

What blows a battery up is hydrogen gas. All acids contain hydrogen atoms. When batteries get hot or overcharged, they can give off hydrogen. If there's a spark, it can get ignited. This goes for about any battery. I don't know why your overhauled battery would be at any extra risk.

Good Luck!
Not only hydrogen gas, but oxygen as well. (hydrogen + oxygen + spark = explosion)
When I was a kid I was charging a battery without taking off the caps (dumb) After it was charged I didn't shut off the charger before taking off the clamps (really stupid) The battery literally blew up. I was lucky that day.
zigmont is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,825
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

So if I put this battery in to service what should I expect, low service life ? The ford book says NEVER ADD...... whats the danger ?

dude,do a poppa-willie!
gchero351 is offline  
 
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Levittown, PA
Posts: 980
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigmont View Post
Not only hydrogen gas, but oxygen as well. (hydrogen + oxygen + spark = explosion)
When I was a kid I was charging a battery without taking off the caps (dumb) After it was charged I didn't shut off the charger before taking off the clamps (really stupid) The battery literally blew up. I was lucky that day.
pure oxygen yes, not the oxygen/air we breathe which tends to be 21% O2 and 76% nitrogen and the rest is just small amounts of other gases

Brian


65 mustang, always progress involving work

BCP Custom -> Welding, Fabricating, Customizing, and Detailing

BCP Custom on Facebook
trashline is offline  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

My .02 cents
I had a gnb battery for my jet ski.
sat around used only once and after 3 years took it out and the thing was
empty!
So I got some acid from advanced auto and filled it to the top level and
instant 12.55 volts.
I charged it for 8 hours, and it was at 13.28volts.

Put it in the jet ski and works perfect! I've started the thing maybe 20-30 times in the last 3 weeks with no problem.
I haven't checked to see the voltage but assume it's up around 12.4-.8 at least

I don't know if it's ok, but I've been doing it for decades with my dad.
I've taken a bad battery drained the acid/water and put new acid to the top and works like a charm.
I'm not saying to do this, I'm just telling you what's worked for me.
Oh yeah, every time I charge these batteries I ALWAYS open the circle things for vents so the heat can escape while charging and boiling .
gspn11 is offline  
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,520
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspn11 View Post
My .02 cents
I had a gnb battery for my jet ski.
sat around used only once and after 3 years took it out and the thing was
empty!
So I got some acid from advanced auto and filled it to the top level and
instant 12.55 volts.
I charged it for 8 hours, and it was at 13.28volts.

Put it in the jet ski and works perfect! I've started the thing maybe 20-30 times in the last 3 weeks with no problem.
I haven't checked to see the voltage but assume it's up around 12.4-.8 at least

I don't know if it's ok, but I've been doing it for decades with my dad.
I've taken a bad battery drained the acid/water and put new acid to the top and works like a charm.
I'm not saying to do this, I'm just telling you what's worked for me.
Oh yeah, every time I charge these batteries I ALWAYS open the circle things for vents so the heat can escape while charging and boiling .

This has not been my experince...
I have had project cars where I had an engine problem, had just got it running - bought a new battery. Took a couple (or more) years to get around to putting it back together. Battery was dead (this was a brand new battery which I had used for at most 2 - 3 weeks). Charged it several times, not only would it not hold a charge, if you keep it on trickle charge it will get a charge memory. It'll never take a full charge again.

Least thats what I heard.

" ... It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. ..." - Voltaire
Beoweolf is offline  
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Not Confirmed
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchero351 View Post
Thanks guy's, I guess rebuilding battery's is out of the question. I saw a television program a few years ago where they emptied out batterys and cleaned them out and replaced the electrolite to rebuild the battery and sold them as reconditioned, So I did this with a motorcraft battery that was weak, I de-sulphated it for a few months and emptied 3/4 of the electrolite out, shook it around a bit and emptied out the rest to get the sludge out of it. grabbed 15 bucks of the "acid" that they sell at Autozone and filled it up... I had an instant good battery that even load tested good...threw it back on the de-sulphater and there it has sat, but if it is at risk of blowing up i wont use it.
Why de-sulfate a battery after it tested good?
leogane is offline  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 11:51 PM
Not Confirmed
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

I used to own an auto wrecking business and sold a couple of batteries a day for many years. When a used battery came in with a dead cell from debris build up in the bottom from flaking, we would empty and rinse the battery and add new electrolyte and in most cases got a second life out of those batteries.

We had a proper way to handle the disposal of the old electrolyte so it was worth the process. We bought the electrolyte in bulk for very cheap. Doing it at home on a onesies basis may not be worth the gamble of it working or not.
mrcap is offline  
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 12:36 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 578
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcap View Post
I used to own an auto wrecking business and sold a couple of batteries a day for many years. When a used battery came in with a dead cell from debris build up in the bottom from flaking, we would empty and rinse the battery and add new electrolyte and in most cases got a second life out of those batteries.

We had a proper way to handle the disposal of the old electrolyte so it was worth the process. We bought the electrolyte in bulk for very cheap. Doing it at home on a onesies basis may not be worth the gamble of it working or not.
I have a battery in My car that wouldn't hold a charge, then I seen a post on u-tube Were he drained the battery
Then added baking soda mixed with ware left it sit for 24 hours, then dumped it out and added A water alum
Mix I tried this to see if it was for real! the battery Cranks the car better than it did when it was new! I don't know how long it will last but it shows 13.9 Volts And all cells test full charge!
MY TWO STANGS is offline  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 08:00 AM
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,540
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

I've seen the aluminum stuff but just wondered if it worked. Nothing lost in trying I guess. Thanks for the report.

Putts drives a 1965 customized Galaxie. Rebuilt 390, 4100 electric choke on a Performer, MX, AC, PS, PB w Scarebird front discs on Cragar 17" S/S.
puttster is offline  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:32 AM
Not Confirmed
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
Chemistry teacher here...

The rule is acid to water only. However, in the practical world, it's only important when dealing with highly concentrated acids. Heat is generated when acids and water are mixed. The sudden heat generated can cause it to boil and splatter. Pouring a little water into a strong, highly concentrated acid, the water can 'flash' boil, and spatter. Even when doing things correctly, I've melted plastic bottles when mixing strong acids and bases. (It's best to have the bottle submerged in cold water when diluting highly concentrated strong acids... especially if you are working with larger volumes)

As for adding water or acid to the battery....

You can think of acids as solutions... like salt water. What happens if you allow salt water to evaporate? That's right, the only thing that evaporates is the water. The salt is left behind. Same thing goes with acids. As they evaporate, only the water dries up. If you keep adding acid to replace the water, the solution gets more concentrated. All you need to do, is replace the water that evaporates over time.

As for the specifics of a battery, Zigmont is right on. Do NOT store a battery in a discharged state if you want it to last. A vehicle that is only used on occasion will benefit from a Battery Tender, which is an automatic trickle charger that automatically turns off when the battery is fully charged. Chargers, even trickle chargers that do not have this feature will kill a battery by overcharging it.

Good Luck!
Is old used battery acid usable for anything? can the battery acid be re-purposed and used for something else.
Mike8888 is offline  
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

Always add the ACID to WATER, that way you won't give yourself a sulfuric acid bath !!!!!
Racketts is offline  
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 01:36 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2
Re: Why not replace battery acid ?

When diluting sulfuric acid (battery acid) ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER, NEVER ADD WATER TO ACID. Unless you want an acid bath.
Racketts is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
acid dipping, etc. scmhs70 Wanted 2 12-20-2007 02:51 PM
Lead Acid Battery Damage rkingston All Ford Techboard 7 10-27-2007 08:38 AM
Battery Acid low? beegshot The Garage 4 08-24-2005 08:18 AM
Where to acid/alkaline dip car in CA? SA The Garage 3 05-03-2004 04:10 PM
Battery Acid tricky The Garage 6 06-10-2002 11:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome