302 troubleshooting - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
302 troubleshooting

Figured Id make my first post on here a good one. lol. Picked up a 68 Galaxie a few months ago and decided to turn it into a "sleeper" if you will. I had the 302 motor inside it rebuilt and added a new cam, new heads, new intake man., headers, rebuilt Holley 650, you name it. I have all of the detailed specs on the parts if needed for reference. However, the one part that I did not replace but rather had installed was a point-style distributor. This motor should be a little fire cracker of a motor but it runs like grandmas car.

Next are the problems I am going through right now...

Stalling at lights, rough idle, backfires, misses, idle changing from one day to the next, sluggish...

No smoke, no leaks.

I understand that these symptoms could be many things but so far, from the many people Ive spoke with, all indications lead to changing to an electronic ignition with no points.

We also found that inside the distributor the advance wasnt working properly. It would not retard all the way back. Hit it with some lithium grease and seemed to work better. This is another reason for leaning towards a new distributor.


Any and all thoughts appreciated!!

Last edited by chef; 10-16-2012 at 04:35 PM.
chef is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sunny Arid Desolate Port Orchard WA
Posts: 34,853
Re: 302 troubleshooting

The dist is fine, change the vacuum advance can and lube it all when you're doing it.

Then either put in NEW points or properly gap the already new points and them and set the dwell.

Then re-time the engine paying attention to the full timing curve and where it happens. Make everything happen when it's supposed to and all will be copacetic.
FEandGoingBroke is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 691
Re: 302 troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEandGoingBroke View Post
The dist is fine, change the vacuum advance can and lube it all when you're doing it.

Then either put in NEW points or properly gap the already new points and them and set the dwell.

Then re-time the engine paying attention to the full timing curve and where it happens. Make everything happen when it's supposed to and all will be copacetic.
X2

My 302 must have made twice the trq, more hp down low, and has throttle response better than most new cars when I finally got my timing curve dialed.

easy way out is spend 35$ and get a new points style dist, then if you want to upgrade from there you can use a pertonix unit.
redtail is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 251
Re: 302 troubleshooting

It would be helpful if you would post cam specs, intake , heads, trans, gear ratio.
firehorse5_0 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Thanks for the great info and rcomendations! Makes perfect sense now...Ill post up some progress on this motor by this weekend.

I will get the specs of the aftermarket parts up tonight as well.


Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
chef is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 1,479
Garage
Re: 302 troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail View Post
X2

My 302 must have made twice the trq, more hp down low, and has throttle response better than most new cars when I finally got my timing curve dialed.

easy way out is spend 35$ and get a new points style dist, then if you want to upgrade from there you can use a pertonix unit.
I'm with redtail on this one. So many things can be wrong with an old points type distributor. Get a rebuilt body and drop in a Pertronix kit. You'll never need to open the cap again and it will run great.

John


'65 Falcon Futura 347 stroker. Comp roller cam, 10.8:1, RPM intake, 750 DP, AFR185's, C4, 9-inch https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/gara...ehicle_id=1106
65FalconLover is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sunny Arid Desolate Port Orchard WA
Posts: 34,853
Re: 302 troubleshooting

I totally DISAGREE.

Only THREE things can go wrong with a points style dist that Cannot go wrong with an Elec. pickup in the dist.

1: Points can fry----- Electronic pickup can fry!

2: Condenser can go bad and suck up all the spark or not suppress enough and burn out points early--- Elec has no condenser.

3: The Ground Strap can fail and give poor spark jump----

So let me correct you AND Me, there is only ONE (1) advantage in using electronic over points... But wait! There's MORE!


Points WILL NOT FAIL without giving notice of failure in the way the engine runs. Electronic pickups will simply stop your ass where you are at that exact moment when they fail. Points going bad will allow you to drive almost forever. ANd the ground strap failure is so extremely rare as to be almost unheard of.

SO! Allow me to allow myself to let you in on the one statement that's true in the difference in the two types of spark delivery.

There is ZERO advantage to points in your dist over pertronix EXCEPT for the QUALITY of the Spark. If you aren't racing your engine for every N~th of energy you can get with it, Points will work fine.

Let any who say NAY please esplain themshelves...
FEandGoingBroke is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 691
Re: 302 troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEandGoingBroke View Post
I totally DISAGREE.

Only THREE things can go wrong with a points style dist that Cannot go wrong with an Elec. pickup in the dist.

1: Points can fry----- Electronic pickup can fry!

2: Condenser can go bad and suck up all the spark or not suppress enough and burn out points early--- Elec has no condenser.

3: The Ground Strap can fail and give poor spark jump----

So let me correct you AND Me, there is only ONE (1) advantage in using electronic over points... But wait! There's MORE!


Points WILL NOT FAIL without giving notice of failure in the way the engine runs. Electronic pickups will simply stop your ass where you are at that exact moment when they fail. Points going bad will allow you to drive almost forever. ANd the ground strap failure is so extremely rare as to be almost unheard of.

SO! Allow me to allow myself to let you in on the one statement that's true in the difference in the two types of spark delivery.

There is ZERO advantage to points in your dist over pertronix EXCEPT for the QUALITY of the Spark. If you aren't racing your engine for every N~th of energy you can get with it, Points will work fine.

Let any who say NAY please esplain themshelves...

I ran points for a long time and never had issues with them. I have heard they can burn out if you leave the key 'on' while you are listening to the radio, but I never had that issue.

HOWEVER, I did notice the engine seemed to be a little more even and smooth at freeway RPM, and at least with my pertronix III unit I now have a rev limiter. However none of this makes the truck run THAT much better. $100 could be better spent elsewhere, but it is nice to upgrade things, as with my unit I can have an MSD 50,000V discharge that fits under the cap and looks stock.

All that said get a new points style dist (as the bushings and other parts on the shaft wear) and just adjust it and run it! somehow they made big HP in the 60's, and we can do it now.
redtail is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sunny Arid Desolate Port Orchard WA
Posts: 34,853
Re: 302 troubleshooting

Like I said, ZERO advantage but the spark quality. and they will NEVER leave you stranded without TELLING you before hand.

You gotta simply listen to your engine.
FEandGoingBroke is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Re: 302 troubleshooting

Greatly appreciate all of the feedback from you guys. Seems to be narrowed down to the distributor being the break in the link here. I also wanted to post the individual parts that I bought and installed onto the motor to see if any difference in timing adjustments or adjustments in any way needed to be made with the addition of these performance parts.

Heres the links to the specs on the parts that I have put onto the engine. Maybe this can bring out some different answers or show what the problem is right away. I know for a fact that the point stlye distributor installed is a cheapo brand I've never even hear of that has been adjusted and readjusted already and has a vacuum advance that has trouble retarding. I should have posted this paragraph in the first place.... Being these parts are more perfomance that the stock parts I removed, I also thought that the timing degree and distributor setup, as well as carb tune would be different.

Timing chain
COMP Cams 2120 - COMP Cams Magnum Double Roller Timing Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Camshaft
COMP Cams CL31-238-3 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Heads
Edelbrock 5025 - Edelbrock E-Street Cylinder Heads - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Intake Manifold
Edelbrock 2121 - Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Transmition is a C-6

Rear end I "believe" is a 9'' and has low 300's for gears.
chef is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 6,662
Garage
Re: 302 troubleshooting

Points style distibutors work just fine if everything is in good shape and properly adjusted...However most people can't be bothered taking the time to keep things adjusted...If your distributor is an aftermarket points style is it at least a high performance type distributor?...Something like Accell or Mallory?..Hopefully not some cheap Chinese peice of crap?...


1968 mustang 408W Hybrid..Burns gas and rubber!
[email protected] with a crappy 1.72 60ft.
frdnut is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
...

Last edited by chef; 10-18-2012 at 12:55 PM.
chef is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdnut View Post
Points style distibutors work just fine if everything is in good shape and properly adjusted...However most people can't be bothered taking the time to keep things adjusted...If your distributor is an aftermarket points style is it at least a high performance type distributor?...Something like Accell or Mallory?..Hopefully not some cheap Chinese peice of crap?...
Definitely a piece of crap off name brand style...


Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
chef is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
troubleshooting new motor I need help kavanaghmotorsports All Ford Techboard 9 06-24-2009 06:12 PM
MSD Troubleshooting mrguts All Ford Techboard 4 10-02-2004 09:07 PM
troubleshooting 460 cantedvlv All Ford Techboard 5 06-13-2003 11:26 AM
troubleshooting fe clods64fe All Ford Techboard 2 01-03-2003 07:03 PM
troubleshooting, no spark sleeper67 All Ford Techboard 2 03-19-2002 03:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome